• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Almost Bought

Kman

Thought this might make for an interesting thread  :lol:

Today I almost bought a 1989 double sovereign on ebay

Set myself a £600 limit on it but it went to £605 20 mins before the end, just finished now at 1:45am, crazy time for someone in the UK to finish an auction.. went for just the £605.

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I nearly bought 7 half sovereigns, bid £700 sold for £705 shit. I spend too much time travelling.

There were some nice sovs in the collection as well.

The half sovs I was about to buy were £91 each so if you are willing to pay nearer £100 each you can buy from Atkinsons.

Must admit - I haven't yet ventured into bidding on ebay. Tempted tho - like you Kman, by double sovereigns.

Had intended to push the button on a mixed year Krug for the stack from HGM or GBC, but in the end I watched the spot drift up from £742 so I missed the chance. This price watching is bad for your health, as you start convincing yourself that £750 spot is expensive; I need to remind myself that I bought most of my gold at over £800 an ounce, and not to be so obsessive!

My other contortion is between just accumulating (my original goal) and the temptations to collect....

I guess that's what makes this fun, as I see you guys suffer also!

My other contortion is between just accumulating (my original goal) and the temptations to collect....

I guess that's what makes this fun, as I see you guys suffer also!

I was just planning to put a % of my savings in to gold

But now I've ended up paying well over spot for coins just because I like them  :wacko: like getting 2002/2005 sovereigns 

I'm confident they will maintain their premium though so it's not a massive deal

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Pete/Kman - my sentiments entirely.

I actually started in July with my plan to divert about 5-10% of investment into pm. I am now torn between putting £ into other dividend assets which surely will double (Tesco?? GSK?) or ....try to catch the falling knife here in gold. I am more convinced by gold long term than silver, but what do I know. Looking for the India and China demand to drive gold up long term. But actually I like the reality and fun of having some physical assets, besides paper/ISAs etc. Sorry - I should not wander off the thread topic!

I also need some advice on proof coins. I just am worried that the only way to get the money back out of them is by selling to other numi collectors, which is more hassle than selling bullion back. Mind you - I haven't sold anything yet... Need to accumulate first

I also need some advice on proof coins. I just am worried that the only way to get the money back out of them is by selling to other numi collectors, which is more hassle than selling bullion back. Mind you - I haven't sold anything yet... Need to accumulate first

Search eBay completed listings for proof Britannia silver coins and see the huge price differentials to bullion.

As for proof gold, the coins are stunning and if you can buy at 10% or less of spot then they should sell at this in the future.

Compared to bog standard bullion they are works of art and usually come certified and in nice boxes.

A good comparision is the gold Britannia ( any size ) - compare professional library proof pictures with regular .

Today I almost bought a full and half sovereign

I wont name the company because I don't think it's their fault, but they asked me to pay by BACS which I did but then when I tried to complete the transfer I got this message from Barclays

"Sorry, due to technical reasons, we've been unable to complete your request and it has also been necessary to suspend your membership" 

So I had to ring Barclays and said did I mess up a code when doing the bacs but they said no it's a technical problem with the bank account you were trying to send to and they told me it would probably happen if I tried to send to them again  <_<

They couldn't fully fix my account either because the department that handles this stuff is only open 9-5 psh

So it's been a bit of a headache! 

Hopefully will all be sorted tomorrow so I can pay for the coins somehow, was a good deal  <_<

I almost bought a 1989 half sovereign on Ebay

Went for £260

I scrutinised the pictures of it and thought they may have been very slight damage so it put me off

1989 sov is defo going to be my next buy though, just waiting for the right one.  

• 1 month later...

Bahhh I got outbid last second for a 2005 proof sovereign, I put £265, someone won £266.20 

Ebay doesn't seem to care about spot price; good for selling I suppose. 

Bahhh I got outbid last second for a 2005 proof sovereign, I put £265, someone won £266.20 

Ebay doesn't seem to care about spot price; good for selling I suppose. 

@KMAN - are you using a sniper programme to place your bid for you in the last few seconds?  i have used one through goofbay with good success over the year

Manually placing your own bids leaves you open to snipers & much disappointment in the last seconds

A set of Harrison sovereign scales. I forgot all about it. I had bid the minimum on it a few days ago, at £19.99, and just discovered someone won it with the only other bid of £21.00. I would have gone up to £30

Buggerit.................got to look out for another one now  :(

@KMAN - are you using a sniper programme to place your bid for you in the last few seconds?  i have used one through goofbay with good success over the year

Manually placing your own bids leaves you open to snipers & much disappointment in the last seconds

Nope just little old me sat with me laptop, but it doesn't matter too much because I know what price I want to pay and if people outbid me in the last second for more then good luck to them  <_<

I saw a 2002 proof sovereign started with no reserve other day, I thought "I will have that no matter what the price, up to £330/340 should do it

It just went for £371+ postage  :o I didn't bother bidding in the end as it was already upto £361 last night

One sold for £300 BIN a week and a bit ago, that is the sort of price id like to pay  <_<

I tried to get 3 proof full sovereigns for £185 each, they replied and said "could be tempted at £195", I agreed but they have not got back to me that was 3 days ago.

It's annoying having the money and will to spend but not being able to find the right price for anything you want  <_<

It's annoying having the money and will to spend but not being able to find the right price for anything you want  <_<

You are lucky Kman I've got the money and the will to spend it but I can't find the coins I want. :(

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived