• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

pocket money on Gold?

Fluttershy

I`v been putting the kids pocket money away in a kids "high interest" savings acct at the building society, turns out the interest rate they HAD is no longer there :(

I`ll not rant about the mean b*****s now stealling money from kids.

so I thought, how about take their money out and put it into Gold Sovs, and the change into Maples.

that way it will at least track inflation and it can`t be stolen from them at about 2.5% a year (or wahtever the current inflation rate is).

I consider Gold to be a bit safer (more stable) investment than silver but Please! correct me if I`m wrong.

so Mommy will do all the Silver and the kids will do the Gold :)

I need to do Something to protect them, they have non trivial amounts of cash in there, and it`s being stolen!

all good input appreciated :)

I suppose it depends how long you'll hold it for. Is it kept until a certain age or could it be on demand for something they need immediately? You could potentially still have a loss if needing to sell? I'm not sure how patient I was as a child when I neeeeeded something.

I'm going to guess that yours are young though.

5 and 9.

my 9 yo daughter spends all hers on ice creams everytime the van comes, despite my advice on investment. my 5 yo Son likes the metal more :)

I could keep Some fiat for them, or maybe offer a "Buy back" service for them, and when she sees she has less coins than her little brother the idea might kick in then?

I know that Gold byback is always closer to spot than silver ever is, so you lose a lot less in the spread, that`s why i thought of Sovs.

I am new to this game, having just invested in first coins this summer, but I did show my teenage kids a stack of 10 new sovereigns I got and when I mentioned that each little coin was worth around £190 they did seem interested! But honestly Fluttershy - I would probably suggest putting 50% of the cash in a shares ISA with high dividend, and buy Sovs with the rest!

Fluttershy - how much fiat are you talking about and how much will you add per annum ?

My suggestion is to buy a proof sovereign each year of issue starting with their year of birth.

If the proof is ~10% above spot that is good but otherwise look to UNC bullion coins and get a nice box that holds 10 at least.

Archived