• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

fractional question please

craig12

can anyone tell me the difference between fractional gold weight and coin weight

i have 2 x 5 g johnson matthey fractional bars in assay cards  and when i say they weigh nothing i mean they weigh nothing , theyre as light as a feather even with the wafer thin assay card 

i have checked the wording on them anfd they say 5g with serial numbers  thats what it says on my invoice as well

in comparison i believe sovs are 8g or 7.32 fineness im not sure which one is used  , and i dont even own a sov yet but im convinced  that the 8g sov will feel a LOT more heavier than these 5 g bars  how can that be 

Since PMs are measured in oz, then anything smaller can be considered fractional.  Normal association would be 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, 1/20, 1/25 but anything which is less than 1oz would all into this category.

5g is small and allowing for the assay card then it's a small weight spread over a large area.  A sov would seem heavier as it would have a concentrated weight.

Using a photo as comparison is difficult since you don't actually have a perspective on size.

Here are a couple of photos I've just taken comparing a 2.5g Umicore with a sim card. Thickness wise, it's less than 1mm.  I would guess 0.5-0.7mm.

Don't forget that gold is twice as dense as silver so on a 1oz vs 1oz, the silver will be twice the size.

post-94-0-56480100-1410937528_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-36612100-1410937552_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

anyone into fracrional coins in a big way ? on affordability there tempting  but the size of em.. hugh 

1/10th krugs around £98  fits my budget but such weeny coins  16mm on average 

they reel you in with the sub £100 purchase but sometimes we forget the size of coin, bbp have a coin at the mo its around 21.mm  at £168 or thereabouts  french i think  only 6.45g  french franc rooster

I like fractionals and have quite a few.

It should be expected that they're tiny considering GSR is 65-70 and gold is twice as dense. You don't get much coinage for your money.

1/10ths are affordable and they often look good in pictures, but I remember being so disappointed with half sovereigns, which are slightly more than 1/10oz, I swore I'd never buy anything so small again. For the same money I can add (roughly, at today's prices) 25% extra in gold to my allocated account in a vault, at or below spot. I have no particular interest in collecting gold coins so there is no attraction for me to pay 15-20% premiums just to get something the size of a shirt button.

Maybe. Possibly not. These things are never guaranteed.

I've looked everywhere and so far not found a lunar/panda at spot or just over. I've only been collecting for a year and never seen a lunar on HGM and only pandas once

Ps I'm just trying to convince myself I didn't pay too much for a 1/10 tiger last night!!!

I've generally found that bars work out cheaper per gram when comparing new vs new. PAMP bars notwithstanding, as they often carry a premium. With used it is all down to condition.

Below one ounce it's rare that the sizes are comparable directly; coins seem to be all over the place especially actual old circulating stuff in .900 or .916 so you have to do the maths sometimes.

Archived