• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

best coin you stole

craig12

thats a forum headline if ever i saw one

but i wasnt meaning it in that way , what was the best item you stole on price , what was it and how much did you pay for it 

i saw a sov earlier in the gold section which one member bought of e bay for peanuts think it was £7 turned out to be genuine, 

i cant say ive got too much to my credit but did buy some bullion this year for around £12 -£13 per coin all in when spot was £11.50  also i thought the hgm 100g bars i got for £51 each all in seemed to be priced wrong 

anyone bought some coins/bars  and you knew that you stole them but the seller didnt realise 

On the silver front its got to be the 1 x Silver 2011 Canadian 1oz Timber Wolf, stolen for only £14.98 delivered. You can't get it anywhere now for less than double that,

and on the gold front a 1/10th Guernsey double for £74.16 delivered. Amazingly it's still under spot even at todays low prices

Both won overnight on Ebay. 

i got a full complete run of UK 1oz silver britannias (1998 to 2012) from my local coin shop in town about 3 months back for £18.00 per coin (£252 for the full run)

The sheer cheek of the dealer, he originally wanted £19.00 each for them !!! can you believe it

but my haggling saved me £14, enough for a celebration pint or two after the deal was done :)  

another from the same shop was £250 for 

2006 BRITANNIA SILVER PROOF GOLDEN SILHOUETTE 

beautiful stunning set with the gilding and fine details

I have seen many sets sell on eBay since i got them in 2011 go for £400-£450

You gotta love these old fashioned coin dealers who do not have access to the internet and have no interest in joining the internet 

post-228-0-21872400-1410633072_thumb.jpg

are the 1998 brits 925 silver making them a more expensive purchase in theory

they still have a troy ounce of fine silver in them, so its like buying 22crt or 24crt 1oz gold coin, both still have an oz of gold in them. Just one is slightly heavier than the other

i think it is hard to find super deals on just the pure bullion factor. an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver, however armed with a bit of knowledge as to what sells for higher than other ounces of silver is the key.  keeping an eye on eBay for what stuff sells for, and remember particular years that consistently sell over and above what a bog standard mass coin like ASE or canadian maple sell for.

UK Britannias have certain years that will sell for more (often double) what a standard generic 1oz coin will

ie years 2003,2006, 2005 & 2007

I have bought many chinese pandas for my local dealers paying the current going rate an ounce or a quid or two more they charge for 'exotic' silver like this.  However, the long term market for chinese pandas to be far far better than buying the ASE or maples they also had on the day.

A quid extra paid today might be £20-£30-£50 more in years to come as time progress

I swapped an old video camera I didn't want for a 1997 Britannia Proof Set once :D

Also picked up a Congo 2007 1500 Fr - Romulus & Remus design 0.5 gram gold coin off Ebay - for a few quid. Worth three times what I paid for it now, and I bought it a couple of years ago when gold was way higher than it is now! :D

I got a 2006 1oz proof Britannia from the local coin shop for £24,

my best bargain was a set of 1/2 oz lunar series 1 coins which just happened to include 4 proofs, 3 very rare, I thought from the photos on ebay 3 looked like proofs,the 3 rare proofs are worth what I paid for the 12 coins in total.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived