• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake 1oz maple?????

zeusss4

Hi guys. Won this eBay item last night. 323265454297

whats people's expert opinion on this from looking at the pictures it doesn't look to bad I know it's hard to tell from pictures. If it is fake am I covered for a refund from PayPal. 

Thanks

52 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

Hi guys. Won this eBay item last night. 323265454297

whats people's expert opinion on this from looking at the pictures it doesn't look to bad I know it's hard to tell from pictures. If it is fake am I covered for a refund from PayPal. 

Thanks

Well - it certainly is not a real gold coin. 

If you have not already paid for it I would highly recommend you dont. PayPal and Ebay do not cover gold or "fake gold" these days. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I was thinking it's a mixture of a bad title, description and also picture. Especially the backround

seller has over 4000 feedback 100%. I wouldn't risk that kind of feedback. 

Ive took a plunge and a big gamble. If it's fake I would hope seller would refund as he has a good rating. If that fails I can try eBay as it says on the listing it's protected by guarentee. If that fails I've took a extra layer of protection and paid with a credit card. 

Fingers crossed

48 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

Il be in big trouble with the missus lol. I'm pretty confident of getting a refund from 1 of the 3 options so not the end of the world. 

Unless I don't get a refund ???

You might want to read up on this thread...

I'm on the eBay guarentee page now which it says on the listings it's covered. In the policy under not covered is vechiles, real estate, business and website, digital content, intangible goods, classified, services and business equipment. 

It also states your covered for an item that isn't described properly, which if it's fake then it's not. 

Ebay always favours the buyer over the seller in any dispute and they don't like the fact they are overrun with fakes but they can't monitor every listing. Buyers are there bread and butter. 

5 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

I'm on the eBay guarentee page now which it says on the listings it's covered. In the policy under not covered is vechiles, real estate, business and website, digital content, intangible goods, classified, services and business equipment. 

It also states your covered for an item that isn't described properly, which if it's fake then it's not. 

Ebay always favours the buyer over the seller in any dispute and they don't like the fact they are overrun with fakes but they can't monitor every listing. Buyers are there bread and butter. 

Good stuff - hopefully you will be fine. Let us know how it goes!

Well it's either a good bank holiday, or, most probably one in the doghouse lol 

i stopped using eBay for a while about 2 years ago. I sold a PS3 which went to Spain. I didn't want to send it but eBay insisted so I did. Anyway buyer complained no hdmi cable. I showed eBay PS3 did not come with a hdmi cable. Anyway long story short they took the money off me and I never seen my PS3 and a load of games ever again

47 minutes ago, vand said:

FFS stay off Ebay, unless you like overpriced bullion or fakes.

I have bought various times on eBay, but have encountered a few fakes from there too. For the most part I tend to go for antique silver there because it's a smaller risk I'm taking and I'm more confident in my ability to spot fakes.

I don't think it's too hard to find good stuff on there, but keeping one's guard up is important.

Just my opinion

In his feedback left for others, looks like the same thing was sold recently to buyer e***t and must have been returned

Cant see any feedback left for the seller from e***t though. Wonder why?!?

44 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

I have bought various times on eBay, but have encountered a few fakes from there too. For the most part I tend to go for antique silver there because it's a smaller risk I'm taking and I'm more confident in my ability to spot fakes.

I don't think it's too hard to find good stuff on there, but keeping one's guard up is important.

Just my opinion

I don't understand why people think that a marketplace where a considerable percentage of the offers are outright fakes is a good place to do your buying. That is completely unacceptable in my way of doing business. The idea that you are going to be able to take advantage of some muppet who doesn't know what he's selling and is offering silver below spot is absurd. No one's that dumb, and if you think they are then you are even dumber than you think they are.

EBay is great if you want a buy a used set of sterling silver spoons, but it is a nest of vipers and ripoff merchants if you are looking to stack bullion.

10 minutes ago, vand said:

The idea that you are going to be able to take advantage of some muppet who doesn't know what he's selling and is offering silver below spot is absurd. No one's that dumb, and if you think they are then you are even dumber than you think they are.

Probably worth clarifying, I wasn't meaning buying stuff suspiciously below spot (that definitely sets off alarm bells) but I've bought things at what I felt was a fair premium over spot.

That said I don't really look to eBay for stacking generic modern bullion either.

That is definitely a fake.  If you have a chance to stop the payment do it before it's too late.

This is a real one 

The radial pattern is much closer together.  The lettering is closer to the edge of coin.  Way more details in leaf.

That is definitely a fake.  If you have a chance to stop the payment do it before it's too late.
This is a real one 
The radial pattern is much closer together.  The lettering is closer to the edge of coin.  Way more details in leaf.

There are some very obvious fakes on eBay and some less so. The ones that I find very tricky to determine if fake or not are the Indian head 2.5 Dollar coins. Caveat emptor

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Definitely 100% fake.

As others have pointed out the radial lines on a real coin are closer together - compare the lettering sizes to number of lines crossed.

Also the earring on the fake looks like a loop whereas on the real coin it is pierced on Lizzy's earlobe.

The seller has simply put in the description what is stamped on the coin and most likely hasn't a clue but an ounce of gold is worth about £1,000 so someone in the chain knew it was a dud and that's fraud passing this on as fine gold.

Archived