• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia proof COA without number

Frenchie

Hello,

I have bought a 5 oz Britannia 2014 with all original stuff box, and COA, but there is no number on this COA !...seems really odd....Has anyone ever had the same experience ? Is it a problem  for the coin value ?

My COA

P1500766.thumb.jpg.b286e3265aec3cd2d241b1f03a2b5951.jpg

To compare  with  a 2015 COA  (same patern)

2015_Britannia_Ten_Pound_Silver_Proof_5oz_Coin_1.thumb.jpg.6fad0718b29c0140c5ac8f5f89401158.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lr103 said:

That doesn't look right to me, but there is a chance it's an error.  I would compare the back, including the hologram in lower right.  Here is mine for comparison.

My COA back and the hologram look good and geniune as yours 

5 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

My COA back and the hologram look good and geniune as yours 

Unless someone else from the forum has seen a card like this, then if I were in your situation I would contact the Royal Mint and ask about it.  I've used the "Contact Us" button on their website many times, and they have always been responsive.  I asked a different question about this same coin, and they referred me to someone from the Royal Mint Museum who was very helpful.

It might also be a good idea to ask the seller.  If everything else looks good, I wouldn't know how else to assess the legitimacy of the card.  There have been instances of mistakes by the Royal Mint with these cards, such as with the Strike on the Day sovereign last year.

Sounds like great advice from @Lr103:)

The thing is, if it was a copy CoA, it'd actually be slightly harder to produce one with a consistent black colour where the white CoA box should be - forgers would surely just use the same number, after all there is no database on each CoA is there (unless the Mint post-purchase registration process creates one - not sure as I never register my coins with them - ?).

13 minutes ago, greendragon said:

is the coin stamped with the c.o.a number then?

No there is no COA stamped on the coin (but I don't think that the Royal mint use to do that)

I really think that everything is geniune (outside and inside boxes, book, the COA with the hologram, and of course the coin and capsule)

I have bought the coin on ebay and already asked the seller if he knows the original buyer's name. Without this information, I imagine that the RM will not be able to do anything more

38 minutes ago, greendragon said:

is the coin stamped with the c.o.a number then?

Never (to my knowledge), hence CoAs cannot be attached to certain coins. I have a coin where the CoA number on the certificate is probably worth as much as the coin itself!

13 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I have bought the coin on ebay and already asked the seller if he knows the original buyer's name. Without this information, I imagine that the RM will not be able to do anything more

They can certainly check if such a mistake was made (or rather previously known about) on this issue. They may not like to do this - certainly the first person you speak to will not be able to check, but I would insist if it's important to you :) 

4 minutes ago, greendragon said:

if there is no number on the coin. then what use is the coa?

if nothing ties the two together,it does not matter is the coa is genuine or not. it would not prove the coin is real or not.

There are other ways to prove the coin is genuine 100% - a CoA doesn't do that, but neither would a number stamped on the coin.

@kimchi's suggestion is what I had in mind...just ask them if non-numbered COAs were ever issued for this coin.  For example, the limited edition presentation for this coin was 600, but the maximum mintage was 1,350.  It could be that in 2014 these were the non-limited edition COAs and it was included with your raw coin by mistake.

I've learned that the the Royal Mint does in fact have different COAs for the limited edition presentation, and the mintage above this number, as I have one from each group for some of the Queen's Beasts.  They all have numbers however. 

Archived