• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns. Time to get some gold

simon13

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where do atkinsons and hgm get theue sovs from to stock up , i cant imagine theres a weekly glut of customers handing over sovs for buy back, do they buy from a wholesale place

imagine if atkinsons were buying on e bay ..ouch

Yeah I'm sure they get their stock from ebay..  :rolleyes:

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Kind of a sovereign thread so I'll put this here.

Does this look like a Sydney mint mark on this sovereign to anyone else? Because it sure does to me. Just above the date in the design of the ground. Click on it for a better image.

I know sweet FA about sovereign mintmarks, but this one has an S where neither of the rest i've got have anything which I know makes them UK.

post-108-0-80089400-1411068116_thumb.jpg

Kind of a sovereign thread so I'll put this here.

Does this look like a Sydney mint mark on this sovereign to anyone else? Because it sure does to me. Just above the date in the design of the ground. Click on it for a better image.

I know sweet FA about sovereign mintmarks, but this one has an S where neither of the rest i've got have anything which I know makes them UK.

Yep that S is for Sydney 

http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/sydneymintaustralia.html

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

@Kman

I concur with that, I have some 2005's one 2002 on its way, and I have just bought a 2012 for £191 delivered, but am looking for a 1989 at a good price patience is required!!!

I have 1 full 2005 that I overpaid  for, £250, but seems to be the going price on ebay (including delivery) and I have 2 2005 halves, one at £108 from Atkinsons and one £102 from ebay

Would like a 2002 full and half and a 1989 but don't want to fork out a massive % over like I did for the full 2005, so as you say takes a bit of patience. 

ive seen a website where they use a very good camera for sovereigns,  on some of them they are a fabulous gold colour , on some they are more of a dirty darker brown colour,  is it fair to say that the  darker looking sov will arrive as pictured or is it a  error 

cant see how it is  as the photo of the lighter gold sovereign is stunning

There can be a marked difference in sovereign colour.

The older sovereigns are a dull, darker colour and the newer sovereigns are much lighter and extremely glossy.

When the glossy ones are photographed they appear even lighter due to the amount of light they reflect compared to the background.

Put the two side by side and you can easily convince yourself that the new ones are fakes but they are not.

There can be a marked difference in sovereign colour.

The 2005 sovs I have are quite rose gold coloured almost

They look more gold on their own, but once you put them next to another gold coin the appear more rosey. 

Yeah I'm sure they get their stock from ebay..  :rolleyes:

I would have thought that there would be a good chance of them having connections to these cash for gold companies that have flooded our high streets in recent years or even started their own one.

Or maybe Keithoil is suppling them with his seconds.

Higher copper content will do that. At one point sovereigns were an alloy of gold with silver and copper added. Current ones are only gold and copper, giving a redder appearance which is especially noticeable compared to a piece of .999 gold

Yep.. Put a Maple next to a Krugerrand and you'll see totally different colours

• 3 weeks later...

Archived