• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

best safe for under £250?

purehaggis

That's not a huge amount of money for a safe, assuming you would want a fireproof insurance one. As for making It hard to move, ensure it's mounted to the floor or wall. Really depends what size and spec you want, lots to chose from.

Something like this perhaps?

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/firestar-home-safe-large.html

That's a 1/4 of gold, I would find a good place for the gold and forget about the safe!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

33 minutes ago, purehaggis said:

Hi folks was just wondering if any of use can recommend a safe that will be extremely hard to move and hard to break into that is around the £250 mark? thanks.

Personally I would assess why you want a safe and set a budget accordingly.

If you are worried about the cleaner finding your coins in your sock drawer and want something to keep them safe when you are at home then a small wall mounted or floor secured safe for £250 sounds about right.

If you are genuinely concerned about being burgled then you need something with a higher budget. The whole point of a safe is to delay and deter the burglar. If you have an alarm system and/or live on a busy street it is unlikely that a burglar will have the time to find your safe and crack it. In this case a good safe will deter them long enough and keep your stack safe enough.

If you are very concerned about being burgled or perhaps you live very remotely then a big heavy duty one is the best bet. But you would be looking at £1000+ 

Remember the one major downside of any safe...the owner. No matter how good your safe if you are in when the burglar comes knocking and he sees a whacking big safe - that thing will be opened easily enough by threatening you or your family.

Lots to think about - if you have small amounts to store perhaps creative hiding places would be better!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Hard to move? Get one the can be attached to the floor or wall. Hard to brake in to? In one way no such thing, all someone needs is time. It may well be worth getting a few smaller safes rather than one big one (where are you going to put it?) have one 'easy' to find and have very little in it, a few oz's of silver?  Yet the best thing any safe can do is put off the casual burglar or the one looking for the drug money.

Thank you for all of your replies, the problem I have is I don't actually own my own property in the uk so I cant make holes in the walls or anything lol a big safe would be great but id rather spend £1000 plus on silver or gold that's why I want to spend around the 250 mark but yes if that is not enough I may have to :(

3 minutes ago, purehaggis said:

Thank you for all of your replies, the problem I have is I don't actually own my own property in the uk so I cant make holes in the walls or anything lol a big safe would be great but id rather spend £1000 plus on silver or gold that's why I want to spend around the 250 mark but yes if that is not enough I may have to :(

£1000 is about 66 oz

Three tubes can be hidden very easily ?

Just get creative!

3 minutes ago, purehaggis said:

If you rent, and trust the landlord, they should have no trouble saying yes to any holes as long as floor/wall is returned to the same condition when you leave. They may even think it's a good idea, and maybe, just maybe buy the safe from you when you move.

1. A safe that isn't bolted down is worse than no safe at all. It just screams: Take me with you, I have lot's of goodies inside! Because of the size it's harder to hide. 

2. A safe that is bolted down only stops the quick cash grabbers without advanced equipment. These burglars can find hidden stacks but won't be able to crack your safe. It will be less effective then hiding  your stack against burglars with good equipment since they can easily locate your stash. 

I would hide your stack in various hard to reach places and purchase an alarm system and a few signs that scare of burglars for on your door. If you got any money left you could buy dummy or real camera's + a sign with camera security. The trick is to be safer then then the rest of the houses in your neighborhood. 

I got my safe from ebay its an old post office safe from the 30s or 40s cost about £150-£200 it was being used in a pub in leeds and took 3 people to carry it a couple of foot to the van and thats before i even put any silver in it. Easy to weld on some feet so it can be bolted down. All brass and gold leaf with 3 bolt locking and i trust it more than 99% of the new safes. They built things to last in them days

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

I got my safe from ebay its an old post office safe from the 30s or 40s cost about £150-£200 it was being used in a pub in leeds and took 3 people to carry it a couple of foot to the van and thats before i even put any silver in it. Easy to weld on some feet so it can be bolted down. All brass and gold leaf with 3 bolt locking and i trust it more than 99% of the new safes. They built things to last in them days

And now we all know what kind of safe you have and how to prepare accordingly ;)

I suspect this is why not to many hyperlinks have been put in to the actual safe's people have bought 

Smallest safe deposit box is around the £150 per year. 

Less than £3 per week / £12.50 a month with free insurance for the first £10k

Let someone else worry about getting a gun in their mouth, getting to your goodies.

Nice place to store passport/documents/USB memory sticks of data/scans/login/ID/hard crytpo wallets/ a few thousand £££ in cash in case the ATMs fail or banks shut their doors , emergency credit card for a proper rainy day emergency.

Also peace of mind it is a box you and only you have access to it. 

Family/girlfriends/wives/children/in-laws/window cleaners (!) can be funny if they know you have money/gold and they don't 

I'm in a similar boat in that I'm contemplating a small safe, but don't have a big enough stack for it to really be worth it.

Might pick up a relatively cheap one for the silver, just as a sticky fingers deterrent for the dog sitter, but the gold is small enough to hide quite easily...

12 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Maybe look for one at a local auction and have a plan how to move it.

If you buy one, make sure it comes with a key.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/search-results?searchTerm=safe

Excellent.  I'm thinking a large unmovable* safe in the garage is better idea than trying to hide one thats bolted to wall, which probably isnt as substantial as hoped.  Certainly looks better and you can tell people its just for novelty. 

(*for regular thief.  anyone prepared is going to defeat most safe so you rely on the insurance imo). 

18 minutes ago, Martlet said:

(*for regular thief.  anyone prepared is going to defeat most safe so you rely on the insurance imo). 

Reminds me of when I was talking to someone about bike locks and they explained that a gold standard bike lock is guaranteed for something like five or ten minutes. If someone knows what they're doing that bike is gone

The thing with 99% of safes on the market, is that within 5 minutes you can get into them. Seasoned thieves don't bother picking the lock or prying it open, they simply angle grind a section out of the wall of the safe, then they're in. Most inexpensive safes are made of 2-3mm mild steel, which is 'soft' as anything. 

If you want a really good safe, you'll have to spend good money. 

As mentioned previously get creative or use a safety deposit box. 

I never keep any substantial amount of PM's at my home for my own safety. Safety deposit boxes or a well-hidden place is your best bet. 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Smallest safe deposit box is around the £150 per year. 

Less than £3 per week / £12.50 a month with free insurance for the first £10k

Let someone else worry about getting a gun in their mouth, getting to your goodies.

Nice place to store passport/documents/USB memory sticks of data/scans/login/ID/hard crytpo wallets/ a few thousand £££ in cash in case the ATMs fail or banks shut their doors , emergency credit card for a proper rainy day emergency.

Also peace of mind it is a box you and only you have access to it. 

Family/girlfriends/wives/children/in-laws/window cleaners (!) can be funny if they know you have money/gold and they don't 

are safety deposit boxes not in banks in the UK?  if the bank shuts their doors how do you get to the box?

8 minutes ago, JimmyStack said:

are safety deposit boxes not in banks in the UK?  if the bank shuts their doors how do you get to the box?

Well first you need to put together a team of quirky criminals, preferably played my a list actors...

17 minutes ago, JimmyStack said:

Nope - rare as hen's teeth safe deposit boxes with your own bank these days. 

Only Metro bank offer them, down south

Got to go with privately own boxes these days

The counterparty is still there however

As with everything NEVER have all your eggs in one basket!

23 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Personally I would assess why you want a safe and set a budget accordingly.

If you are worried about the cleaner finding your coins in your sock drawer and want something to keep them safe when you are at home then a small wall mounted or floor secured safe for £250 sounds about right.

If you are genuinely concerned about being burgled then you need something with a higher budget. The whole point of a safe is to delay and deter the burglar. If you have an alarm system and/or live on a busy street it is unlikely that a burglar will have the time to find your safe and crack it. In this case a good safe will deter them long enough and keep your stack safe enough.

If you are very concerned about being burgled or perhaps you live very remotely then a big heavy duty one is the best bet. But you would be looking at £1000+ 

Remember the one major downside of any safe...the owner. No matter how good your safe if you are in when the burglar comes knocking and he sees a whacking big safe - that thing will be opened easily enough by threatening you or your family.

Lots to think about - if you have small amounts to store perhaps creative hiding places would be better!

This silver stacking business is hard work ?  I never thought of stuff like that 

23 hours ago, purehaggis said:

Who does own a property in the uk nowadays? Lol it’s near impossible 

id say anything is better than nothing when it comes to a safe , try and hide it I gusse ?

If you buy a safe that fixes to a wall the chances are it isn't fireproof and fixing one to a wooden floor isn't going to slow down removal very much.  Also as previously mentioned most reasonably priced safes are going to be easy to grind open so if you have power tools lying around your supplying the burglars with the means to open them.

If you have a concrete floor you can fix a slightly cheaper safe to that and still deter casual burglars, which are all your likely to get unless you've been advertising the fact you have something worth stealing - things like big house, obvious alarms and speaking about precious metals to neighbours or down the pub.

Archived