• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk spotted silver to poured silver?

RoughDog

Hello,

I was wondering what people think about spotted or scuffed up silver coins.

Never tried selling any but I do have some like the Australian funnel web spider that are badly spotted.

I assume the price of them drops cheaper than the newest cheap coins on offer over in Europe.

If so, I was wondering about chopping them up and paying for them to be turned into poured silver at some point? ?

Chopping them up sounds difficult.  One idea I had was hamming them super thin then cutting them up.

Maybe placing them inbetween sheets of paper to avoid metal hammer marks.  Get Mc Hammering them. ⚒⚒⚒

I must admit I like using the hammer. ?

Thoughts?

I think you are MC Hammer lol :P

The melt fees (no need to chop up yourself) I've had so far are more than 50% of what the silver's 'worth' (at present), and that's without postage either way.

I'd just sit tight on them personally (am actually I am in the same boat and that's what I'm doing :) ). Imo the melt fees aren't anywhere near worth it (unless you're commissioning a special gift), and you have recognisable coins, milk spots and scuffs or not. It might be a mighty stress reliever to start hammering them, but better to have a silver coin that many will know of rather than a beaten up piece of metal that will need extra checks etc. All imvho :)

Did someone say cutting up and melting coins!?!?

I am more than happy and able to cut up coins (up to 2 oz). You can do it pretty easily with a blowtorch and some tin snips. 

I am also happy to melt them into something for you - I have done it many times before for people!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

• 4 weeks later...

Archived