• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Rings

So I've been watching a few videos on YouTube of people turning silver and gold coins into rings. They look really cool and I've got to the dangerous stage of thinking, "I bet I can do that!"

Has anyone tried it and can folks offer any tips on which coins work best etc?

27 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

So I've been watching a few videos on YouTube of people turning silver and gold coins into rings. They look really cool and I've got to the dangerous stage of thinking, "I bet I can do that!"

Has anyone tried it and can folks offer any tips on which coins work best etc?

I am likewise fascinated and would be very intrigued to see the results if you give it a go.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I was picturing sovereign ring when I read the title (and imagining you making one with a 1oz silver coin on top), but I imagine you're talking about this kind of thing, in which case I think they do look pretty cool: 2016-silver-coin-rings-2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

I was picturing sovereign ring when I read the title (and imagining you making one with a 1oz silver coin on top), but I imagine you're talking about this kind of thing, in which case I think they do look pretty cool: 2016-silver-coin-rings-2.jpg

OMG don't tempt me, although even I'll admit that might be a little gaudy

Yep i love these :) keep meaning to commission a cu-ni late lizzy florin, as its my fave design :) would be great to have a silver one too of course

6 hours ago, PansPurse said:

Well, I've pulled the trigger on getting a few basic tools (ones I didn't have already) so I'll keep you all posted :unsure:

Good luck and will be waiting for the results as this fascinates me and I would also love to try my hand at it but it'shaving the time ?

I haven't done one of those fancy bent over types but when I was a kid I did do the tap tap tap on the rim of the coin and drill a hole in the middle and it takes ages taping away with a heavy spoon (didn't have a little hammer). More time when you're doing it on the quiet while you're supposed to be doing some work for your father which gives you access to plenty of tools like pillar drills, lathes etc,. 

You just end up with a smooth band doing this however as you aren't hammering the face of the coin over on a mandrell. 

Potentially a profitable way of ridding yourself of spotty silver coins

coin-ring-gallery-18.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just now, PansPurse said:

Ok first video should be up tomorrow lunchtime

Alright! I shall watch with a good ham sandwich! Oh wait...you mean YOUR lunch time...so for me it would be...seven...oh for crying out loud I'll catch it tomorrow or the next day!

I think you'll have a job punching holes as well unless you throw together something using a hydraulic jack and a metal frame.  I guess you could bolt a frame together if you don't have access to a welder.  The cheaper Indian made disc punches probably won't last too long or cut that well either and may be prone to jamming or similar problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Another attempt at drilling, with stronger drill bits designed for hard steel:

IMG_20180604_212714754.thumb.jpg.21345ef39bd6e4ee9fb4a08eb943a1c3.jpg

Bugger me these things are solid! I'm thinking that short of getting a pillar drill this method isn't going to be viable.

Wonder whether annealing beforehand might make drilling easier? Alternatively might have to shell out for a punch and die set.

18 hours ago, blackadder said:

Don't you just need to buy the right equipment ?

A poor workman always blames his tools...

That said, I think you have a point. I'm reluctant to sink too much into this straight off the bat because, well, I don;t want it to end up sitting in the shed unusued. That said, having pretty much exhausted the easy option I'm looking at getting a hole punch and small (hand pumped) half-tonne press.

Archived