• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Five Queen's Portraits - Poll

swAgger

The Five Queen's Portraits - Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which portrait do you like best on a coin?

• Gillick
    • Machin
    • Maklouf
    • Rank-Broadley
    • Clark
  2. 2. Which portrait would you prefer to see on today's coins?

• Gillick
    • Machin
    • Maklouf
    • Rank-Broadley
    • Clark

After he had been criticised for his flatteringly young portrait of the Queen, who at the time would have been almost 60 and the portrait was to run until she was 70, Raphael Maklouf said he was "creating a symbol, regal and ageless". In a way, i see his point, a monarch is a symbol. And on a coin it's the symbol being represented. It doesn't need to be absolutely age accurate, warts and all (as the saying goes! I wouldn't insinuate there are any royal warts.... so lay the pitchforks back down, people)

This came up in a recent thread, where a younger portrait has been used on a 2018 coin. It got me thinking what would people like to see on coins now, if it was an option?

So purely from a numismatic interest; first off, what is your favourite portrait in the coinage period?

and, what portrait would you choose to see on the coins, today. Do you prefer to stay with an accurate age appropriate portrait or more of a likeness, a symbolic one?

portrait1.jpg.c6e2b2e25fcf4cddae544586934c7c33.jpgportrait2.jpg.5b8156b9424ff2b762f7d294139f5637.jpgportrait3.jpg.070594e4d82f02f60a847e4183af00ce.jpgportrait4.jpg.62d43f325f3291483c227507fe02f048.jpgportrait5.jpg.565fd542e9954b87d4a9b23d6189e6d4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Too devious. Looks like shes just let a smelly fart out and knows full well that no one will dare blame her.

What do you think the Corgis were for?

Not one of the big 5, but my favourite is the Thomas Humphrey Paget portrait used on the 1965 Isle of Man commemorative issue here https://www.chards.co.uk/1965-isle-of-man-200th-anniversary-revestment-act-coin-set/1490

I much prefer the old style of portraits, some of the modern ones look almost cartoonish when translated from the design to the coin. 

Has to be the Mary Gillick although the engraving doesn't have the greatest detail. The reason being it's associated with the early Eliz II sovs which have a gorgeous look and finish to them.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Has to be the Mary Gillick although the engraving doesn't have the greatest detail. The reason being it's associated with the early Eliz II sovs which have a gorgeous look and finish to them.

I’ve always wondered about the detail on that portrait. It gives me the impression it’s been smoothed out due to excessive handling.

Also, anyone thoughts as to why the legend used with this portrait had a + sign?

It should reflect her age as well as being a symbol, I know you can only work with what you've got to some extent but I find 4 & 5 so unnecessarily ugly. I voted 4 as the most appropriate as the least worst of the two older heads.

4 = Empire Strikes Back Grumpy Yoda

5 = Phantom Menace Yoda (original cross-eyed puppet version)

14 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Yes 4 & 5 are my pet hates.

1 & 3 gets my vote.

I think part of the problem is they made her so blimmin big as well - just why?!!

Yes 1 & 3 for design for me, although 3 has the 'chopped off' head effect like 4 & 5. I love the robe in 2 and it's the one I grew up with so is my fave.

16 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I think part of the problem is they made her so blimmin big as well - just why?!!

Yes 1 & 3 for design for me, although 3 has the 'chopped off' head effect like 4 & 5. I love the robe in 2 and it's the one I grew up with so is my fave.

I think it's been deliberately kept to the same scale; so as the Queen's head has grown larger, the portrait grows too...

15 minutes ago, ChardLizzie said:

Will ask Lawrence if he knows.

Rochelle has suggested it might be a cross as it appears after F:D: (Fidei defensor - defender of the faith). Also as she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, maybe the cross relates to the flag of England and the Church of England? 
You've started something @PansPurse

1 hour ago, ChardLizzie said:

Rochelle has suggested it might be a cross as it appears after F:D: (Fidei defensor - defender of the faith). Also as she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, maybe the cross relates to the flag of England and the Church of England? 
You've started something @PansPurse

It was I who asked the question :) So thanks for asking and getting back with this. It does make sense given the FID DEF part of the inscription.

IMO the first three are sized well and feel “symbolic” in their interpretations. The last two certainly look more like actual portraits to me. 

And I too have always found the fourth portrait rather large, especially on the Aussie 50 cent coin which itself is quite big.

:D I see i needn't have worried about the pitchforks, then. Let's see, so far you guys have touched on flatulence, elastic earlobes, yoda, onset of later-life-massive-head-syndrome. Tough audience!

28 minutes ago, swAgger said:

:D I see i needn't have worried about the pitchforks, then. Let's see, so far you guys have touched on flatulence, elastic earlobes, yoda, onset of later-life-massive-head-syndrome. Tough audience!

Come on, don't be so coy, tell us about the royal warts!

1 hour ago, swAgger said:

No,no, far be it for me to even suggest.

(you won't believe it! i'll PM you :ph34r:)

Just had a look - blimey (to put it politely) :o

Something I shan't be able to forget in a hurry (alas :wacko:)...

May I humbly suggest we get back to all things portrait, Yoda, flatulence and elephantism-related? :)

:ph34r:

43 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Just had a look - blimey (to put it politely) :o

Something I shan't be able to forget in a hurry (alas :wacko:)...

May I humbly suggest we get back to all things portrait, Yoda, flatulence and elephantism-related? :)

:ph34r:

I know, right? :blink: They really should confiscate smart phones from the palace staff.

Agreed. It ends here. Let's never share those files around. :D

Archived