• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£1,000 to spend.

KevjustKev

18 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

If you can still find one, an oriental border Britannia.

18 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Oriental Britannia ounce. Beautiful coin and very small mintage

Of course, Sovereigns are a safe bet but if you want something different, then like these guys, I think a Gold Oriental Britannia would be a sensible buy, but I'm biased as I hold them anyway.  Baird & Co. have them for £1003 each.  I don't think this relatively small mintage coin of 5000 will ever attract a massive premium, but I think it'll do ok in the future. Oh, and they are really nice to look at and my personal favourite coin.     

Although I haven't being able to afford to do so, but if I could, I would consider a gamble on buying one of each of the newer released Queen's Beasts such as the 1oz Bullion Black Bull or the Unicorn, given the huge premiums the older bullion 1oz coins in this 10 coin series make currently.  

I think its probably likely that the mintages of these two QB's will be significantly less than their predecessors, the Lion, Griffin and Red Dragon and going forward, I think its likely the interest in the future releases might slow down, and the Royal Mint might tighten up supply on these two and the later series coins.  I think therefore, at least one of them, if not more of the later release coins, might well become a real winner in terms of the premium they will command.  

Only my opinion, clearly I can't see into the future and haven't a shred of evidence that this might happen excepting that @Pampfan completed a freedom information request of the Queen's Beast series and the evidence is that the mintages have subsided as the series moves on.  

Enjoy spending the grand.

no need to look past sovereigns imo;)

although if I was looking for gold coins that might make money in the future, I would look towards fractionals, probably quarters rather than 1 ozers

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Look around for the best deal on gold.  Not sure about in UK, but here in the states I'm getting a lot of good deals for gold near spot.  Apmex, liberty coin, provident metals, etc.  have all had some great deals recently (some via email or on ebay).  They don't last very long though. 

My favourite design is the Britannia. Can't go wrong with it.  Great design, 999.9, seems popular, capital gains exempt. 

What size to choose is a whole different head scratcher.

• 4 months later...

I would buy the three earliest 1/4oz Queen’s Beasts (Lion, Griffin and Dragon) because they are the most popular coins at the moment. You should have some change left over to buy a red leatherette sovereign case which can hold the three Queen’s Beasts and the rest of the series if you wish to continue buying them.

Archived