• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold/Silver Eagles sales are plummetting

vand

This should not come as a surprise, but stackers are becoming an ever rarer breed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usmint-coins/sales-of-u-s-mint-american-eagle-gold-silver-coins-fall-in-march-idUSL2N1RF0MV

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gold-coins-usa/u-s-gold-coin-sales-slide-as-stock-markets-show-more-luster-idUSKBN1HW23Y

"In the final quarter of 2009, U.S. investors bought 21 tonnes of official gold coins, according to GFMS data. Nearly eight years later, with U.S. stocks swinging higher, sales had dwindled to less than a tenth of that."

https://in.reuters.com/article/usmint-coins/update-1-us-mint-american-eagle-gold-coin-sales-at-weakest-april-since-2007-idINL1N1S71IK

BTW, it's very difficult to find anyone who's bothered to put together a cohesive report for all the historical sales data, which probably tells you as much as you need to know about interest in the PMs right now!

5 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

This kind of data excites me. Buy what nobody else wants (within reason of course) is a tried and tested investment strategy. If there was ever a time to accumulate, it is now.

That's what I tell people who mock my James Blunt collection...

7 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

This kind of data excites me. Buy what nobody else wants (within reason of course) is a tried and tested investment strategy. If there was ever a time to accumulate, it is now.

My thoughts exactly!

Just don't get too excited. It will take time for sentiment to swing back round the other way. Worst thing that a new stacker can do is to put too much energy and excitement into their purchasing. Just gradually accumulate what you comfortably can manage in the knowledge that it's a very smart place to park your money, and otherwise go about your daily business.

Mike Maloney talks about AGE sales @ 9 minutes. From the chart, it looks like 2016 was actually quite a strong year for AGE sales, while 2017 onwards has been barren.

2 hours ago, vand said:

BTW, it's very difficult to find anyone who's bothered to put together a cohesive report for all the historical sales data, which probably tells you as much as you need to know about interest in the PMs right now!

Mik at AgAu runs an excellent sales report for the 3 big mints, going back to 2013;

http://agaunews.com/comparative-bullion-sales-perth-u-s-royal-canadian-mints/

• 5 weeks later...

ASE sales all years:

1986: 5,096,000
1987: 9,420,000
1988: 5,869,000
1989: 6,166,000
1990: 7,427,000
1991: 6,952,000
1992: 5,544,000
1993: 5,890,000
1994: 5,540,500
1995: 4,590,000
1996: 3,466,000
1997: 3,636,000
1998: 4,320,000
1999: 9,008,500
2000: 9,133,000
2001: 8,827,500
2002: 10,475,500
2003: 9,153,500
2004: 9,617,000
2005: 8,405,000
2006: 10,002,000
2007: 9,887,000
2008: 19,583,500
2009: 28,773,500
2010: 34,662,500
2011: 39,868,500
2012: 33,742,500
2013: 42,765,000
2014: 44,006,000
2015: 47,000,000
2016: 37,701,000
2017: 18,065,500
2018 YTD: 6,387,500 

34 minutes ago, AllThingsShiny said:

Shame about the popularity of the ase falling, it is my favourite silver mint coin.

Not to worry, there are still plenty of them around. Probably enough to keep you happy;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope I'm wrong, but imo there could still be further downside, which does not bode well for the immediate prospects for silver. No reason why ASE sales can't or shouldn't head back down towards the 10m oz/year level for a year or two imo.

16 hours ago, Amazing said:

Sales are down due to the dire economic situation in the US. Even more people live paycheck to paycheck than ever before.

Its got sod all to do with economic conditions. Households weren't exactly rolling around in spare cash during the financial crisis when sales peak at 40m+.

Sales are down because most people don't have an interest when prices are low and rush out to buy when prices hit a peak.

1 minute ago, vand said:

Its got sod all to do with economic conditions. Households weren't exactly rolling around in spare cash during the financial crisis when sales peak at 40m+.

Sales are down because most people don't have an interest when prices are low and rush out to buy when prices hit a peak.

Nah, trust me it does.

4 minutes ago, vand said:

alright, genius.

I know. It's pretty obvious that's the reason. People literally have no spare change to invest. Cryptos are also more interesting atm, that's also a reason the sales has plummeted.

On 01/05/2018 at 12:05, vand said:

Mike Maloney talks about AGE sales @ 9 minutes. From the chart, it looks like 2016 was actually quite a strong year for AGE sales, while 2017 onwards has been barren.

Mike Baloney. That guy is so full of shiat. Literally never gets a prediction correct.

Apparently "s-h-i-t" gets outchanged to terrible. Lol.

23 minutes ago, vand said:

How can you say it has nothing to do with the financial situation genius?

44 minutes ago, Amazing said:

How can you say it has nothing to do with the financial situation genius?

i agree from my information, despite the (funny) numbers pumped out by the controlled media where the economy is booming blah blah BS, the average Joe in the USA is on harder times and doesn't have the cash to splash.

i see JP Morgan is said to have bought vast quantities of ASE's. Purchases like this will distort the figures.

If all the numbers are true there will be a number of reasons people aren't buying.

They are broke - this is the reason for a great many. They just don't have the cash to spare.

They would rather buy something else. How many of the younger generation would think to buy silver coins? i got my daughters silver for Christmas. The relatives of my youngest daughter's boyfriend ask why i have got her a lump of silver. The ignorance and stupidity astound me but stupid is as stupid does. 

Those looking to invest think silver is a poor investment. The price has been pounded and pounded. Only the hardcore silver bugs keep buying. i keep buying.

Are collectors interested in ASE's? i have ASE's but i do not collect them - they never change. The design is ok - i like the Liberty face but come on let's have some variety.

On this forum i get the impression there are a fair few are coming out of silver into gold. They have their own reasons, often a storage issue, to do with milk spotting and better value for money in gold compared to spot.

We would need to know who now isn't buying to have an idea why sales are falling. As i mentioned JPM has supposedly been buying vast numbers since the financial crisis especially since the peak in price in 2011. If they were active and then no longer active this could account for big swings in volume of sales.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

23 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i agree from my information, despite the (funny) numbers pumped out by the controlled media where the economy is booming blah blah BS, the average Joe in the USA is on harder times and doesn't have the cash to splash.

i see JP Morgan is said to have bought vast quantities of ASE's. Purchases like this will distort the figures.

If all the numbers are true there will be a number of reasons people aren't buying.

They are broke - this is the reason for a great many. They just don't have the cash to spare.

They would rather buy something else. How many of the younger generation would think to buy silver coins? i got my daughters silver for Christmas. The relatives of my youngest daughter's boyfriend ask why i have got her a lump of silver. The ignorance and stupidity astound me but stupid is as stupid does. 

Those looking to invest think silver is a poor investment. The price has been pounded and pounded. Only the hardcore silver bugs keep buying. i keep buying.

Are collectors interested in ASE's? i have ASE's but i do not collect them - they never change. The design is ok - i like the Liberty face but come on let's have some variety.

On this forum i get the impression there are a fair few are coming out of silver into gold. They have their own reasons, often a storage issue, to do with milk spotting and better value for money in gold compared to spot.

We would need to know who now isn't buying to have an idea why sales are falling. As i mentioned JPM has supposedly been buying vast numbers since the financial crisis especially since the peak in price in 2011. If they were active and then no longer active this could account for big swings in volume of sales.

Good post, it's appreciated, unlike the other guy who just came across as extremely insulting when I tried to give him a reason.

In looking at the sales - can it really be assumed that the years from 2008 to 2017 were all done by stackers - my gut tells me that JP Morgan or some other big investment firms probably bought the majority of the production. 

Archived