• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trends in Royal Mint Milk spotting?

Foolssilver

I've noticed recently a definite trend relating to milk spotting in my stack (specific to royal mint products)

My regular Brits and my QBs are very spotted, probably as much as 50%, however i currently have zero spotting on my oriental brits and my 20th year anniversary brits.  The only link i can see is that the oriental brits and the 20th year brits are sold encapsulated whereas the regulars and the QBs are not (even though i have subsequently encapsulated the QBs)

Am i the only one seeing this or do others have the same experience?

Cheers all,

Foolssilver

The same in my circles alas - hence I don't go near silver Beasts.

The 'special' Brits (Orientals, Anniversary etc) seem to be produced separately and to a higher standard imo and I haven't had problems with spotting there either. I don't doubt it will happen to some, but not as high a %.

I've found a similar pattern with even Perth Mint myself - not so much spotting, but their non-encapsulated coins (Roos, Barcoin) have all had poor production e.g. a tube of the Barcoins all dinged and little black marks in the same place on each. Their premium, encapsulated, coins (Kooks etc) really set the standard though for me and many others.

Before I found this place (and found out about cheaper VAT on silver from Europe) I bought some regular Brits from a UK company that sent them in caps. I read some speculation on here I think that some of the worst batches are sent to some of the cheaper resellers, but with the Mint's famous QC I doubt they're that organised. Plus I've also had terrible milkers from Bullionbypost (again UK). It would be interesting to check on those expensive capsuled Brits I first bought - unfortunately though they are at the bottom of my most remote storage.

The anniversary Somalian Elephants will be interesting as it's a high premium capsuled coin compared to the beautiful but cheap regular bullion (also notorious spotters alas). I do hope so because it's going to be an expensive hit otherwise, like another recent premium capsule coin that I won't mention because not many seem to have noticed for some reason.

18 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The 'special' Brits (Orientals, Anniversary etc) seem to be produced separately and to a higher standard imo and I haven't had problems with spotting there either.

Perhaps it's due to lower mintage numbers which could mean the dies stay in better condition?

1 hour ago, CosmikDebris said:

Perhaps it's due to lower mintage numbers which could mean the dies stay in better condition?

Absolutely - Quality over Quantity.
The Oriental & Anniversary Brits are what all coins should be - free of scratches, bag marks, dings and scuffs.
I conclude that they are pressed on a different machine without a hopper ( see how they mass produce ordinary £1 coins so its obvious how the soft silver coins are ruined at the Mint )
The lack of spotting is likely due to a slower process ( less heat ) and less recycling of the cleaning solutions meaning clean and not contaminated.
The last sentence is pure speculation on my part.

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

The lack of spotting is likely due to a slower process ( less heat ) and less recycling of the cleaning solutions meaning clean and not contaminated.

I do remember reading somewhere that spotting was likely due to cleaning solutions, although I don't really know much about silver to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Pampfan said:

Could be that the royal mint is sourcing its blanks from different producers - who use different processes in preparing the blanks for striking.

On one of their recent promotional vids they said they provide blanks for other Mints too, but who really knows, could be?

Archived