• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Trade Dollar 1878

Boater

Hi All

Am new here but not new to stacking. Chance upon some 1878 Trade Dollars in Asia and bought 10....

Clean it up and found them to be in great condition. This is my first time getting silver rounds origins outside Asia Australia.

Should I get more given the clean up conditions of the rounds? I am here to learn from the experts.

Thanks!

Boat

SilverTradeDollar1878.jpg

28 minutes ago, Boater said:

Hi All

Am new here but not new to stacking. Chance upon some 1878 Trade Dollars in Asia and bought 10....

Clean it up and found them to be in great condition. This is my first time getting silver rounds origins outside Asia Australia.

Should I get more given the clean up conditions of the rounds? I am here to learn from the experts.

Thanks!

Boat

SilverTradeDollar1878.jpg

Cleaning them reduces the value actually. Also given you bought them in Asia, and they are all the same year I would most definitely run tests to see if they are real. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

As has already been said NEVER clean historical coins , if they are genuine you have cleaned away any chance of ever selling them for a profit . I understand it's nice to have nice shiny coins but never mind the damage you do to them ( you can even see the scratches on your photo ) it just looks wrong to have a hundred + year old coin all shiny.

It's a mistake many new collecters make , once you have a bit more experience you will learn to appreciate what most people think of as dirt and grime . It adds to the history and appeal of the coin and nice toning can actually add massively to the worth of the coin. 

Don't worry about it as it is too late now , just never do it again 

Hi 

Just got back from my local silver guy.... He doesn't have much information on the 1878 Trade Dollar. We are from the Far East.....

We did the sound test (ok), magnet test (ok), the online information on the size [38mm - ok] and weight [24.5g - not ok]. Need more information on checking it out short of the silver testing solution.....

Any other information would help .... 

1 hour ago, Boater said:

Any other information would help .... 

Look at the quality of the strike on a real coin:1878-sobv.jpg

i appreciate that yours are "worn" but just compare the edge or look at your edge reeding, which is still razor sharp like freshly cut...

Since this coin carries a premium above the price of silver it is worth while to melt scrap silver coins to make a fake like yours. 

On 10/04/2018 at 07:50, Boater said:

Chance upon some 1878 Trade Dollars in Asia and bought 10.

you make it sound like you were picking up 10 pandas or similar. how many were for sale? was it a coin/bullion shop?

yours are 100% fake, and poor ones at that. The lettering and arrowheads are awful and the edging is too wide and poor quality.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

you make it sound like you were picking up 10 pandas or similar. how many were for sale? was it a coin/bullion shop?

the factory outlet :ph34r:

Thanks for the added information - it will remain a fake then no biggie. I will stay with proven coins from trusted source.

Anyway now its clean and shinny - at least I know that Baking Soda works. LOL.

I bought this from the gold/silver shop as well - perhaps its fake....

Archived