• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can a sovereign go rusty?

Bullionstu

Well of course not, its gold. But leave that gold on a river bed for 100 years with iron nails, old tin cans, bits of brass, bits of lead, chemicals and industrial effluent and this is what you get! 

Fresh up last night, I'm totally buzzing about finding my first sov. Itching to get it out of the holder but part of me kinda wants to leave it as is. But I need to see the coin too much to do that!

20180407_115338-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bullionstu said:

Well of course not, its gold. But leave that gold on a river bed for 100 years with iron nails, old tin cans, bits of brass, bits of lead, chemicals and industrial effluent and this is what you get! 

Fresh up last night, I'm totally buzzing about finding my first sov. Itching to get it out of the holder but part of me kinda wants to leave it as is. But I need to see the coin too much to do that!

20180407_115338-1.jpg

Nice find!

16 minutes ago, Bullionstu said:

20180407_115338-1.jpg

I'd recommend soaking it in white vinegar for a few days to eat away at any iron. Should help loosen it up a bit

Phosphoric Acid will do away with the rust (and iron). Some cola will do but if you want to preserve most of the holder just brush a bit on the areas of interest

rinse, check and repeat after a few hours

Hi are you sure its a sovereign ? I know they used to put the kings head on some of these old sovereign holders for decoration. The coin does not look right to me. I would want to make sure its real 

It's a sovereign holder with The front missing. Lucky for me when it was lost there was a sov inside it :) it's Edward but obvs dont know the date till I get it out. 

Common to find gold and silver encrusted like that in Urban rivers so I'm certain it's gold :)

If you're sure it's a sovereign holder and it's the right size, then it's difficult to see what else it can be other than a sovereign. The beard looks a bit weird to me though for an Edward, too much relief and texture on the beard.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived