• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

whats this all about?

greendragon

6 minutes ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

I've never seen a sovereign counter-stamped like this. Is this in a slab? Does the auction house make a comment about the mark?

no detail other than gold half sovereign

from experience , even if you ask, a lot of auctioneers say "dunno"

i see Chard has a page with a sovereign with Arabic counter marks - they say it is a fake. @sovereignstevewould perhaps be able to tell us what this is all about

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=fakes1.html

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

16 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i see Chard has a page with a sovereign with Arabic counter marks - they say it is a fake. @sovereignstevewould perhaps be able to tell us what this is all about

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=fakes1.html

I've seen a few of these before. This taken from the Chard article says it all really. (If you object to me quoting here @ChardLizzie, just say so and I'll take it down.)

"Many sovereign fakes emanate from the Middle East, were the sovereign still circulates today as a popular bullion coin. Most of these fakes are obvious, and are stamped with Arabic numerals or other marks indicating the fact that they are replicas, due to the often extremely harsh penalties for counterfeiting, however, others are more deceptive, and have to be examined more closely."

I've learnt much of what I know about fakes reading from Chards' webpages and speaking to Lawrence.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've seen a few of these before. This taken from the Chard article says it all really. (If you object to me quoting here @ChardLizzie, just say so and I'll take it down.)

"Many sovereign fakes emanate from the Middle East, were the sovereign still circulates today as a popular bullion coin. Most of these fakes are obvious, and are stamped with Arabic numerals or other marks indicating the fact that they are replicas, due to the often extremely harsh penalties for counterfeiting, however, others are more deceptive, and have to be examined more closely."

I've learnt much of what I know about fakes reading from Chards' webpages and speaking to Lawrence.

Yes, as above. We have seen lots of photos recently from sellers in Turkey and the Middle East often saying that they have several hundred sovereigns for sale. Needless to say these are highly unlikely to be genuine. Any fake coins that we buy go into our Black Museum of fake coins - some are obvious fakes but some are very sneaky! Great for training purposes though.

27 minutes ago, ChardLizzie said:

Yes, as above. We have seen lots of photos recently from sellers in Turkey and the Middle East often saying that they have several hundred sovereigns for sale. Needless to say these are highly unlikely to be genuine. Any fake coins that we buy go into our Black Museum of fake coins - some are obvious fakes but some are very sneaky! Great for training purposes though.

Is there a most faked year?

From the little I know the 1887 seems to be popular to fake 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

18 hours ago, Kman said:

Is there a most faked year?

From the little I know the 1887 seems to be popular to fake 

Yes, 1887 is a common one especially for the five sovereign piece /quintuple sovereign. The photos that we are getting from Turkey are mainly 1923 and 1926 but we have also seen most years between 1911-1918. Even from the photos they are obviously not genuine.

On 03/04/2018 at 16:10, ChardLizzie said:

Yes, 1887 is a common one especially for the five sovereign piece /quintuple sovereign. The photos that we are getting from Turkey are mainly 1923 and 1926 but we have also seen most years between 1911-1918. Even from the photos they are obviously not genuine.

like this?

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

Haven't personally seen that type, shocking isn't it.

one for your black museum . item will have ended now,last time i checked it was around £240

by the way, bought my first two sovereigns from you weekend just gone.

good service, nice price and lovely coins. thank you

Archived