• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

This is a general comment about collecting coins and gold coins. I've noticed since being a collector that there seems to be two directions numismatists go when they "mature" in their collecting - gold or old. I realize there are exceptions to this, and I know some people collect paper currency, precious metals for stacking and not coins, and of course exonumia, but I'm fairly confident I can clump most serious collectors of coins into either of those categories. For instance...

Some of the most popular coins collected amongst serious numismatists in the UK are the sovereigns (Gold) and crowns (Old). Some of the most popular coins collected in the US are Morgan Silver Dollars (Old) and the Eagle, Double Eagle, and Indian head dollar coins (Gold). I'm sure other countries have similar patterns. 

As a younger collector my question to the Silver Forum Community is - is it worth it to even bother with modern silver, semi-numismatics, limited mintages, non-Precious Metal coins, etc. if eventually all great collections contain very old coins or (very?) gold coins?

I appreciate all comments and criticism!

Eventually your collection of modern coins will become a collection of very old coins!

Really though, it tends to be higher end collections that are old or gold. Those two are the more valuable pieces because of age and spot value respectively. A normal coin collection CAN contain either or both of those, but by no means necessary. I am semi-young (depending on point of view of people in their 30s) from Canada and my Canadian coin collection contains old and gold, but also almost every decimal circulated coin up to 2017. When I want to "wow" people, as coin collecting is not exactly a "cool" thing to do, it is the old and gold that are shown...but that is just one very small part of my numismatic collection.

My world collection does date back to the 1600s Germany and Russia and 1800 year old Roman coins, but just like the Canadian coins, that makes up a very small portion of my collection compared to what I call modern issues -- to me that is anything newer than 1953. I even classify them by who was in power at the time (in my world at least); Victoria and before is old, Edward VII to George VI is the sweet spot, Elizabeth II is modern. Modern I would say is easier to find coins in better condition and for a lot less money to buy the money. As you get more money to "invest", that is when someone who likes the complete their collection will start adding the more glamorous old and gold.

13 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

As a younger collector my question to the Silver Forum Community is - is it worth it to even bother with modern silver, semi-numismatics, limited mintages, non-Precious Metal coins, etc. if eventually all great collections contain very old coins or (very?) gold coins?

I think you have to judge each coin on their individual merits, there are certain boxes to tick that make things a more safe bet, it's also weighing each merit against the others' if it's an incredible design with low mintage it might trump the rest

• Is it from a respected mint
  • Is it from an already collected series
  • Is it a nice one off design
  • If is a favourable mintage vs demand
  • Fair price considering all the above?

The only silver coins I've bought recently are the proof 1oz QBs

I think they have everything going for them minus the mintage, if they were under 2500 each I think we would already see the Lion doing well, but RM pumped out 10k? I think it was and the others are like 8k so, might take a long time for them to rise in price (if they do)

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

all depends what your after out of your collection really , on average i spend less than a grand a year on silver semi numis that is not going to get me a massive amount of gold and i dont know enough about old coins to spend significant amounts on them . 

there are silver semis that have risen massively in price look at lunar 1s , early pandas , early elephants , Rwandan wildlife and many more . so gains are there to be made if you buy wisely

6 minutes ago, daz said:

all depends what your after out of your collection really

Exactly this, some people are looking at short term investment, some long term and others pure enjoyment in owning or hunting down rare or choice pieces.

Just remember that all collections get sold eventually, some by their owners and others when the owner pops his clogs. Enjoy what you can while you can.

11 hours ago, Kman said:

I think you have to judge each coin on their individual merits, there are certain boxes to tick that make things a more safe bet, it's also weighing each merit against the others' if it's an incredible design with low mintage it might trump the rest

• Is it from a respected mint
  • Is it from an already collected series
  • Is it a nice one off design
  • If is a favourable mintage vs demand
  • Fair price considering all the above?

The only silver coins I've bought recently are the proof 1oz QBs

I think they have everything going for them minus the mintage, if they were under 2500 each I think we would already see the Lion doing well, but RM pumped out 10k? I think it was and the others are like 8k so, might take a long time for them to rise in price (if they do)

Excellent points @Kman, thank you! Rather than speak in generalities I'll give you some specifics. I currently collect the business strike Britannia coins, the proof silver Queen's beasts like yourself, and also circulation issue British coinage that is more modern. The last category is focused on unique coins like low mintage coins meant for circulation. I'm a US based collector so the coins aren't as accessible for me, but I just love the UK coins!

I had a few silver pandas, but sold them as I saw the market for the newer ones turning in a negative direction and as a series I like the idea of them, but can't get excited about them as a collector. I've also sold some of my US coins which, again, didn't fit my collection. In the process of selling some more US coins and some of my random coins from childhood collecting. I have exactly 1 gold coin which I don't want to part with since it is my ONLY gold coin and a really nice one, but it also doesn't fit at all into my collection.

My anxiousness about my own collection has come about since I'm a fan of Numistacker and look to his videos as a good gauge of the online community and what people are interested in. Lately, I've noticed it is all about the Old & Gold on his channel and it seems a lot of forum members are steering towards gold. Maybe I'm overthinking - after all I've heard we should collect what we like and worry about appreciation second - I do try and follow that, but it is difficult to not be self-conscious of your own collection at times. I have a limited budget and I want to be focused and smart about spending.

11 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I am slowly moving into old semi numismatics and Gold. However if the deals good, I grab whatever the budget allows

And by old semi-numismatics are these Silver Pandas and Australian Lunar series? I ask since those seem to be the most popular.

11 hours ago, JunkBond said:

4656346-concept-for-the-idiom-of-a-open-can-of-worms-stock-photo-worms.jpg

Maybe you're right and probably is a can of worms, but I think it should be asked since this community is where the interest is. I've gone to local coin shops and soe coin shows near me and it is old men, old coins, and one gentleman at a booth scoffed at me when I told him about some graded examples I was selling as he only ever dealt in raw coins. I think the collecting market has changed and left someone like him behind, but I also wonder whether these new "trends" are ones that will last...

5 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

And by old semi-numismatics are these Silver Pandas and Australian Lunar series? I ask since those seem to be the most popular.

Oh no, I mean stuff like old Silver and gold coins, like I am building a full date run of Victoria Crowns, Indian colonial Rupees, German colonial and reich coins. Most of these have a bit of a premium over Silver value, but still cheap enough for a keen collector to pick up nice specimens. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

I'm a US based collector so the coins aren't as accessible for me, but I just love the UK coins!

The larger portion of my coins being Canadian and Great Britain has made me hate collecting certain countries. I do have a rather large collection of US coins, being my neighbour to the south, but having so many mints really is killer. Other than Canadian, main parts of my collection are US and German which are just frustrating with so many mints for each year. I am used to one per year with maybe a variety, but the US has 3 for most years and Germany has 6 for most years. That just takes up that much  more space in the binders. I understand your distaste for collecting them.  For silver value, amazing. For numismatic value, just annoying!

That is just my two cents...speaking of which, then you need the two cents and three cents that only existed for a few years...

Archived