• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The...what to buy off eBay Monday evening discussion

Elements

12 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:
17 minutes ago, Silvergun said:
You might not be interested but a 2016 half is on ebay £157 or best offer , marsh book has mintage at 1000 may be a good long term buy , just a thought

Got a link?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Gold-HALF-Sovereign-Queen-Elizabeth-II-FIFTH-PORTRAIT/152951466392?hash=item239c9e2998:g:n~UAAOSwqjpasCH0

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JunkBond said:

Saw that too, edge looks a bit weird to me, still wary of some stuff and still a bit of a novice!

you think that one's bad, have a look at this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-1887-VICTORIA-1-2-sovereign-BEAUTY-AU-UNC-as-per-pictures-UNCERTIFIED/112254468040?hash=item1a22e33fc8:g:L3gAAOSwEzxYZ~kQ

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 hours ago, JunkBond said:

Ebay is becoming a hobby in itself, I find myself making a cuppa and sitting watching auctions count down... I am sad!

No it’s actually very educational! You learn a lot about retailing coins, displaying them and getting to know what bids to aim for etc. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

No it’s actually very educational! You learn a lot about retailing coins, displaying them and getting to know what bids to aim for etc. 

Thats why I thought this thread was a good idea to have a discussion about whats on, to educate as you say us less well educated! Including helping what to look out for when Identifying fakes.

Closer look at the 1887 I linked, the rim doesnt look even all the way round. @JunkBond highlighted it.And that second one @sovereignsteve linked from the same seller maybe suggests it’s more than an isolated mistake. Keep safe out there ?

21 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Theres a business address at the bottom of the listing, it matches a shed type building on google maps called the gold and silver shop and the phone number matches. 

6 hours ago, JunkBond said:

Anybody bought from this guy?

I've bought a couple of half sovs and doubles from him in the past. Reliable seller, I think he has a little jewellery/general tatt store in deepest Wales.

Probably picks up a steady stream of gold coins locally. In general his prices are a touch steep and he doesn't vary them much, so some good buys and some bad.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

20 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've bought a couple of half sovs and doubles from him in the past. Reliable seller, I think he has a little jewellery/general tatt store in deepest Wales.

Probably picks up a steady stream of gold coins locally. In general his prices are a touch steep and he doesn't vary them much, so some good buys and some bad.

I think you have probably bought from every single business  ebayer already 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

22 hours ago, JunkBond said:

The bin price is £209, I only offered £180, bit cheeky but you never know.

If someone buys my 1892 I have up for sale I will up my offer. :D

So I sell the 92, go on ebay to up my offer on the 90 aaaand, it's sold. :(

Bring on tonight's perusal.

10 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I found one on a French site during random browsing.  Not sure it’s much use since it’ll take a leap of faith ordering from an unknown.

Hang on I’ll search my browser history for it, just for interest.

In the meantime, also away from eBay. BNT seem to have a cheap (relatively!) SOTD 2017. I seem to remember people having problems with them in the past? https://www.bnt.org.uk/royal-mint-the-200th-anniversary-of-the-sovereign-gold-coins

24 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Your offer was fair, in my view. It’s too easy to overpay on eBay chasing stuff. It’s a long game getting what you want, keep hunting.

I bought another 2002 proof half sov, mostly due to this thread. Paid 158.50 with shipping, but the photo was poor. Hope it’s FDC, time will tell?

Archived