• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Lowest mintage for a British Proof Sovereign in Predecimal era?

HeavyT

Hi,

Does anyone know which Proof Sov minted in London before decimalisation had the lowest mintage? I know some branch mints like SA and Canada had tiny mintages for proofs but just wondering what would be lowest in London. I guess the KGV Coronation Proof (just over 3.5k) must be a contender but which other ones would be in the mix?

1831 London Sovereign Proof @ 225

Some, like the 1853 are classed as rare and were, as I believe, just produced for "VIP's" so the exact number isn't known.

The 1893 Proof @ 773 and 1887 @ 797 are achievable but scarce.

The rarest modern coin would be the 1953 Proof Sovereign

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/352336370824927332/

That's helpful, thanks SovTracker.

I just looked up availablilty and prices, a few on eBay. The 1893 seem mega expensive and 1887 looks relatively cheaper but will still be out of range for most people.

The 1953 looks next to impossible to own!

Archived