• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mail Signed For - warning!!!!

Recorded delivery items are treated no different to regular mail.  It's not segregated and is sorted and processed with all other items with just a signature on delivery.

Special delivery items are segregated and processed in a secure locker with restricted access.  Every step of the journey is scanned and tracked with a signature on delivery.  You can also claim the postage back if it is delivered later than the 9:00 / 13:00 delivery deadline.

If it's valuable use special delivery!

Sorry for your loss numistacker, I've posted a few times here that recorded delivery does not cover previous metals.

Edited by mr-dead

Recorded delivery items are treated no different to regular mail.  It's not segregated and is sorted and processed with all other items with just a signature on delivery.

Special delivery items are segregated and processed in a secure locker with restricted access.  Every step of the journey is scanned and tracked with a signature on delivery.  You can also claim the postage back if it is delivered later than the 9:00 / 13:00 delivery deadline.

If it's valuable use special delivery!

Sorry for your loss numistacker, I've posted a few times here that recorded delivery does not cover previous metals.

Thanks very much. I do appreciate that losses are not covered but I wanted to make it extremely clear to everybody as so many times we hear that postage choices are:-

If the item is under 50 pounds then post it signed for and

If you have an item over 50 pounds it requires to be special delivery.

My point in raising the subject is that essentially it is only with special delivery there’s any protection/compensation whatsoever and but if selling cheaper items via eBay then the seller has 100% of the risk in all circumstances using special delivery

2 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Thanks very much. I do appreciate that losses are not covered but I wanted to make it extremely clear to everybody as so many times we hear that postage choices are:-

If the item is under 50 pounds then post it signed for and

If you have an item over 50 pounds it requires to be special delivery.

My point in raising the subject is that essentially it is only with special delivery there’s any protection/compensation whatsoever and but if selling cheaper items via eBay then the seller has 100% of the risk in all circumstances using special delivery

Good topic to bring up once again.

I have sent over 1000 items in the last 18 months and have not had a single one go missing - some delayed quite a bit but they all arrived in the end.

I try to give all the options when I offer postage - but, where it is my decision to send regular or signed only I will always offer a personal guarantee to the buyer.

@Rat and I had something like this last week. With the snow a parcel was delayed and we thought it was gone. I would have reimbursed in full but happily it arrived!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

On 22 March 2018 at 14:22, Gordon said:

Anything made of gold and silver or money has to be posted special delivery no matter how much it is worth to be covered for loss But the real trouble with getting just sighed for delivery is that when the postmen are very busy like Christmas they just post it and leave you open to a claim 

I had a 1/4 gold beast coin left in my American style, outside mailbox at the top of our track. This was sent by RM special delivery from Atkinsons at Christmas time. When I went in the website it had a squiggle for a signature half an hour later, not mine obviously. The best part about it was the postie actually put the little red flag up to let everyone know mail was waiting, brilliant. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I had a 1/4 gold beast coin left in my American style, outside mailbox at the top of our track. This was sent by RM special delivery from Atkinsons at Christmas time. When I went in the website it had a squiggle for a signature half an hour later, not mine obviously. The best part about it was the postie actually put the little red flag up to let everyone know mail was waiting, brilliant. 

The postie would have very likely lost his job for that if reported (which they are all aware of)

PDAs record GPS location of signatures too which can catch the dodgy ones out.

I get and send a reasonable amount by RM Special Delivery and to date have had no problems.

Me and the Postie have an agreement about Signed For items but he WILL NOT sign for Special Delivery - he said it wasn't worth his job - fair point.

I think RM SD is their "flagship" product and want to protect it at all costs.

ParcelForce on the other hand - let's just leave anything in the porch!!

5 hours ago, SovTracker said:

I get and send a reasonable amount by RM Special Delivery and to date have had no problems.

Me and the Postie have an agreement about Signed For items but he WILL NOT sign for Special Delivery - he said it wasn't worth his job - fair point.

I think RM SD is their "flagship" product and want to protect it at all costs.

ParcelForce on the other hand - let's just leave anything in the porch!!

I do remember having a delivery from bullion by post awhile back and no one signed for it. Contacted bullion by post but don't think anything came of it....leads me to believe postman pat signed for it.

Edited by matrawr

5 minutes ago, matrawr said:

I do remember having a delivery from bullion by post awhile back and no one signed for it. Contacted bullion by post but don't think anything came of it....leads me to believe postman pat signed for it.

I heard that his black and white cat was the patsy in those little scams of his :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I heard that his black and white cat was the patsy in those little scams of his :ph34r:

I mean I received the goods it's just the possibility of the postie signing for it to save time isn't acceptable in my eyes......the next time it happens someone will be losing a head!

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2018 at 10:20, Numistacker said:

Conventional wisdom says that Royal Mail signed for service can be used for items with a value of less than 50 pounds.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

I sold a Brittania Silver coin that was a collectors item graded by NGC and posted it first class signed for. The package never arrived and I was asked to give a 100% refund by eBay and PayPal. I thought no worries, the package has 50 pounds compensation..

Wrong

Royal mail defined this item as money or coins and excluded it from the conditions of compensation. They sent a book of six first class stamps for my trouble.

They recommend special delivery should be used for all such items if compensation is required.

In the last month my local post office counter has miss sold me their service over 40 times as they failed to describe their service correctly.

When you post your items they should ask you what the item is and the value and offer you a suitable service which will cover your items.

If you choose to ignore their advice they should put a disclaimer on your receipt explaining you have been advised.

If they fail to do this and you have any issues claiming on the insurance you should be able to go back to where you posted for recompense as they have miss-sold you their service under the trade descriptions act.

If you want your valuables to be fully insured when buying or selling please make sure to ONLY use Special Delivery. 

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

All of the bullion dealers I order from send their gold and silver coins via Royal Mail Special Delivery with the exception of the Royal Mint Bullion who use DHL who bizarrely sign for the parcel themselves when it should be the recipient who signs for it. Has anyone ordering from the RMB noticed that?

It’s good to raise this so others don’t fall foul, but in RMs Defense, they clearly state the insurance provided with each product. 

As to using Signed for service for PMs, it’s clearly a risk based approach. If regularly sending out £25 coins, then the money you’d save on postage would surely out weigh the risk of losing 1/1000 items. 

The other issue is selling on eBay - too many con men out there who know exactly how to milk an honest seller.

I agree with this but it's a different story  if a Royal Mail employee tells you your items are insured when they are not.

As a buyer my awareness on this topic may steer me away from buying a £25 coin and more in the direction of multiples of 5.

As a seller I've had no trouble even in ignorance and will continue to take the risk.

I'm a frequent buyer from eBay and received a signed for envelope recently. The postman asked for a signature, which I signed on his digital box, and handed me the envelope, along with the rest of my post. I took the post inside and started opening them, when I came to the signed for envelope it was empty, with a clean guillotine cut at one end!

There was no way of getting for a refund through eBay because tracking showed the envelope as delivered with a signature. The moral of the story is check your signed for deliveries BEFORE you sign for them, it could be an expensive error.

34 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

I'm a frequent buyer from eBay and received a signed for envelope recently. The postman asked for a signature, which I signed on his digital box, and handed me the envelope, along with the rest of my post. I took the post inside and started opening them, when I came to the signed for envelope it was empty, with a clean guillotine cut at one end!

There was no way of getting for a refund through eBay because tracking showed the envelope as delivered with a signature. The moral of the story is check your signed for deliveries BEFORE you sign for them, it could be an expensive error.

And take a note of the tracking number before they leave.

3 hours ago, Booky586 said:

I had that happen twice to me in less than a weeks time and eBay reimbursed me both times when I filed a claim.

4D5EA277-6FE3-4F1F-A388-5F6FB64E22FD.thumb.jpeg.695d1ef71880e60aa9b2439c199f8f82.jpegB4B2BA43-30DC-4357-A204-8CE77E5B2BC1.thumb.jpeg.9be32e52c5f2d98e333040df35d38070.jpeg

D43ABAF2-C23E-4B64-B9CA-66D120A8C3E0.thumb.jpeg.da030985d08b32ad41686348573aa885.jpeg

Edited by CadmiumGreen

On 22/03/2018 at 10:20, Numistacker said:

Conventional wisdom says that Royal Mail signed for service can be used for items with a value of less than 50 pounds.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

I sold a Brittania Silver coin that was a collectors item graded by NGC and posted it first class signed for. The package never arrived and I was asked to give a 100% refund by eBay and PayPal. I thought no worries, the package has 50 pounds compensation..

Wrong

Royal mail defined this item as money or coins and excluded it from the conditions of compensation. They sent a book of six first class stamps for my trouble.

They recommend special delivery should be used for all such items if compensation is required.

On 22/03/2018 at 10:57, Numistacker said:

What this means is that it is a bad idea to offer tracked postage as an option on eBay sales unless you are happy with a 100% total loss.

On 22/03/2018 at 15:31, Numistacker said:

They require the link to the eBay listing so they can see for themselves how the product is advertised and if it is made of precious metal.

On 22/03/2018 at 15:19, whitesands1 said:

Sorry to hear any bad news.

I sometimes do work which involves sending paperwork in the post.  The instructions from the employing firm are; "For safety do not send by ordinary mail use only second class recorded."

The nature of the work is no paperwork no payment so I always use Royal Mail Special Delivery, guaranteed to be delivered by 13:00 next day.

It is more expensive, but well worth it.

"Low" value ebay sales are very tricky - the Special Delivery cost really eats into the £'s but give the best peace of mind possible.

I had a case recently where the parcel was delivered 24 hours late.  The process for claiming a refund and the communication from the Post Office were absolutely fantastic.

So RM Special Delivery carries my very highest recommendation.

I've had this with signed for through eBay a sovereign sold by Bullion by post a few years ago.  I always ask for special delivery, though in the past some sellers send sign for even though I have paid for special delivery.   The royal mail knows thefts go on, they have there own investigation team  

Sign for is a load of rubbish as  a buyer it gives the buyer nothing infact the buyer is better buying first class than sign for!  Both are not good enough when it comes to money you need special delivery.  

If you want to sell silver Britannia coins or other silver coins you could sell them in the collectables though you may not get as many  views bids etc.  

5 hours ago, Pipers said:

I've had this with signed for through eBay a sovereign sold by Bullion by post a few years ago.  I always ask for special delivery, though in the past some sellers send sign for even though I have paid for special delivery.   The royal mail knows thefts go on, they have there own investigation team  

Sign for is a load of rubbish as  a buyer it gives the buyer nothing infact the buyer is better buying first class than sign for!  Both are not good enough when it comes to money you need special delivery.  

If you want to sell silver Britannia coins or other silver coins you could sell them in the collectables though you may not get as many  views bids etc.  

The problem with "Signed For" is that it records something going into the postal system, and hopefully coming out of the system on delivery.  The problem is, in between, there is no additional security over the item - indeed it merely advertises the fact that there may be something worth stealing inside the envelope!

9 hours ago, Zhorro said:

The problem with "Signed For" is that it records something going into the postal system, and hopefully coming out of the system on delivery.  The problem is, in between, there is no additional security over the item - indeed it merely advertises the fact that there may be something worth stealing inside the envelope!

But signed for provides compensation for many items and introduces a formal record of posting/receiving 

8 minutes ago, Melon said:

I don't really understand the "Signed for" concept. Anyone can put a squiggle in a box. It doesn't prove an item reached it's intended recipient at all. 

I believe it goes in with the standard post so you are not getting much for your extra £1.3 odd.