• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mail Signed For - warning!!!!

Conventional wisdom says that Royal Mail signed for service can be used for items with a value of less than 50 pounds.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

I sold a Brittania Silver coin that was a collectors item graded by NGC and posted it first class signed for. The package never arrived and I was asked to give a 100% refund by eBay and PayPal. I thought no worries, the package has 50 pounds compensation..

Wrong

Royal mail defined this item as money or coins and excluded it from the conditions of compensation. They sent a book of six first class stamps for my trouble.

They recommend special delivery should be used for all such items if compensation is required.

How does Special Delivery work? Is it more expensive? When you sent via RM Signed, was there insurance included like with USPS? 

I hope the package turns up for you.

5 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

How does Special Delivery work? Is it more expensive? When you sent via RM Signed, was there insurance included like with USPS? 

I hope the package turns up for you.

Special delivery is specifically geared up for sending cash and precious metals; it is handled differently. There are various insurance tiers, the minimum defaults to £500.

I often wondered how things would go if you ever had to query RM signed for as any attempt I have made to write on that little screen with the electronic pen looks nothing like my signiature, it always comes out looking like chicken scratchings.

Edited by Scuzzle

2 minutes ago, Sovsaver said:

Special delivery is specifically geared up for sending cash and precious metals; it is handled differently. There are various insurance tiers, the minimum defaults to £500.

Ok...I am actually getting a delivery from Numistacker and also from The Royal Mint. They have an RS tracking code and Numi's is RN. So I guess that means The RM uses Special.

26 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Conventional wisdom says that Royal Mail signed for service can be used for items with a value of less than 50 pounds.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

I sold a Brittania Silver coin that was a collectors item graded by NGC and posted it first class signed for. The package never arrived and I was asked to give a 100% refund by eBay and PayPal. I thought no worries, the package has 50 pounds compensation..

Wrong

Royal mail defined this item as money or coins and excluded it from the conditions of compensation. They sent a book of six first class stamps for my trouble.

They recommend special delivery should be used for all such items if compensation is required.

Sorry to hear this, it is their policy though, I only know it because I was advised to go rmsd when sending a silver coin worth less than £25, I took a gamble and declined.

The only remaining benefit of signed for is you know the addressee received the item, and won’t get away with saying they did not.

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

Good warning. This is a well known problem but it does no harm to remind people.

Yes, I’d always assumed that this would be the case, but fortunately have never had to test the theory, as I’ve ever had a signed for package go missing.

My only reason for using signed for services, is that the parcels are taken slightly better care of than standard, and it’s much more risky for Royal Mail staff to steal them (my mum used to be the post mistress at a sorting office).

I received a few items (10p coins) from the royal mint this week in a signed for envelope but no one was at home when it arrived. Magically it had been delivered and was waiting for me when I arrived home as it fitted through the letter box. So, who signed for the delivery?!?! Makes me think the postmen are taking short cuts and not obtaining signatures.

Oh and another item was placed in my grey rubbish bin with a note through the door. Luckily it wasn't collection day!

Ok...I am actually getting a delivery from Numistacker and also from The Royal Mint. They have an RS tracking code and Numi's is RN. So I guess that means The RM uses Special.

Yours is tracked and signed.
In the USA it is handled as a locked registered packet however there is still no international compensation at all payable by Royal Mail.

What this means is that it is a bad idea to offer tracked postage as an option on eBay sales unless you are happy with a 100% total loss.

9 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

What this means is that it is a bad idea to offer tracked postage as an option on eBay sales unless you are happy with a 100% total loss.

Does it not cut down on issues of people saying they didn't receive it though?

that sucks. I have an open ticket with them for a trade with [mention=4561]Alun[/mention]. They mangled the item and lost it due to a sorting issue. 
Maybe the way forward is.. to claim for the genuine box and COA at full cost ?? Who knows ??

It's terrible how they wriggle out of the fact they have failed miserably to deliver an item.

Anything made of gold and silver or money has to be posted special delivery no matter how much it is worth to be covered for loss But the real trouble with getting just sighed for delivery is that when the postmen are very busy like Christmas they just post it and leave you open to a claim 

2 hours ago, Alun said:

Maybe the way forward is.. to claim for the genuine box and COA at full cost ?? Who knows ??

Yes, would claiming as a collectable rather than for the precious metal aspect work? After all that's what it was - it wasn't sold for spot price (the metal content)?

10 minutes ago, matrawr said:

Does special delivery require a signature?

Yes it does.

Sorry to hear any bad news.

I sometimes do work which involves sending paperwork in the post.  The instructions from the employing firm are; "For safety do not send by ordinary mail use only second class recorded."

The nature of the work is no paperwork no payment so I always use Royal Mail Special Delivery, guaranteed to be delivered by 13:00 next day.

It is more expensive, but well worth it.

"Low" value ebay sales are very tricky - the Special Delivery cost really eats into the £'s but give the best peace of mind possible.

I had a case recently where the parcel was delivered 24 hours late.  The process for claiming a refund and the communication from the Post Office were absolutely fantastic.

So RM Special Delivery carries my very highest recommendation.

49 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yes, would claiming as a collectable rather than for the precious metal aspect work? After all that's what it was - it wasn't sold for spot price (the metal content)?

That’s what I have set my claim as. I have also called it a medal rather than a coin

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

That’s what I have set my claim as. I have also called it a medal rather than a coin

They require the link to the eBay listing so they can see for themselves how the product is advertised and if it is made of precious metal.

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

Anything made of gold and silver or money has to be posted special delivery no matter how much it is worth to be covered for loss But the real trouble with getting just sighed for delivery is that when the postmen are very busy like Christmas they just post it and leave you open to a claim 

Does that then also include electronic parts that have gold or silver incorporated in its construction?

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

They require the link to the eBay listing so they can see for themselves how the product is advertised and if it is made of precious metal.

CYep - if the sale was made on eBay. If not, you can send them any other proof... 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics