• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Future of Krugerrands

LittleJohnSilver

No real polite way to put this so I'm just gonna say it.

With South Africa firmly on course to begin mass wiping out of Afrikaners courtesy of the rabidly Marxist ANC government voting for white farm land confiscation, coupled with ANC leaders openly calling for White South Africans to be wiped out in the months to come thus igniting a massive black vs white civil conflict, what's the future for Krugerrands?

A couple of South African friends of mine from my Infantry days have returned to SA to protect their family's farms, with one SA friend telling me he's already converted his family's Krugs to other PM's and had it shipped out of SA to the UK in advance of said conflict.

Is the oncoming genocide going to devalue said unit?

Gold will always be worth gold, doesn't matter where it is from. If anything were to happen to slow down mining or minting, that would actually increase the premium due to a lower mintage but would still be valued at gold value. This is of course putting a financial gain on the deaths or hardships of people...but there is always someone that benefits from someone else's misfortune...

I have just looked into this and it doesn't look great. With Zimbabwe on their doorstep I would have thought they could see the countrywide issues this could cause - they already have drought so I would have thought handing over farms to inexperienced people will cause much hardship. I also cant see investors pouring into a country that takes this stance. There seems to be quite a few controversies surrounding Cyril so the future does not seem bright unfortunately.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

Regardless of what happens in South Africa i think the krugerrand is still going to be here when IM dead and gone( i still got 50 more years of life). It has too much history in its favour to be wiped out or troubled by politics internally. 

Long may the Krugerrand continue !

I would hardly describe a planned genocide of tens of thousands of people, people that have far more claim to that patch of African dirt that not even Africans themselves inhabited, and who's only "crime" is the colour of their skin, as "internal politics".

I agree the Kruggerands "in circulation" will always be worth an ounce of gold.  If the political system in SA goes south, then the "demand" for K-rands will probably diminish, and the astute stacker or collector will be able to add to their pile for spot, or a slight premium over spot.  I recall in the 1980's when K-rands could be purchased at spot and sometimes a couple percentage points back of spot.  A gold trader acquaintance bought a few thousand K-rands at this time, and then cleaned up when it was politically correct to own K-rands again.

3 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

Interesting thread as Cape Town was one of the places we were looking to retire to! The last few years has unfortunately caused SA to drop off the list? (family now all out of PE)

So back to the pennines it is?

My advice would be NOT to retire ANYWHERE within the sphere of South Africa. The South African ANC Government is openly, verbally and actively gearing up for the wholesale removal of all white and black South Africans that don't align with their views. A friend of mine from my Army days who hailed from SA and has since returned to his homeland, has said on numerous occasions that educated Black South Africans have also begun looking at alternative places to live as they too (because they are educated - something which marxist governments hate) have been targeted with violence due to their opposition to ANC goals. He had a relative that was car jacked at gunpoint in broad daylight a few years back just down the road from the local plod shop by two off-duty TRAFFIC WARDENS! A few days later his Aunt then saw her car parked within a local government agency security compound right next to said police station. Reported to Police only to get the veiled threat that if she persisted, bad things would happen. Now they never go anywhere in groups less than 2-3 and are heavily armed.

Pre Mandela/ANC years, South Africa was a huge exporter of foods. Since Mandela/ANC gained power in the early 90's, South Africa has become an importer of food due to ANC governance destroying working farms. Then there's the issue of 70,000 Whites and hundreds of thousands of Blacks murdered in race/ideological related attacks by other Blacks pushing the ANC agenda.

When South Africa kicks off, it WILL spill over into neighbouring countries.

I've even got quite a few friends who hailed from  Zimbabwe (they and their parents got out during early 90's) who also enlisted into the Army, and even they have stated SA is a place they absolutely will not go as the can see the writing on the wall.

Have you considered Oz or New Zealand?

26 minutes ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

My advice would be NOT to retire ANYWHERE within the sphere of South Africa. The South African ANC Government is openly, verbally and actively gearing up for the wholesale removal of all white and black South Africans that don't align with their views. A friend of mine from my Army days who hailed from SA and has since returned to his homeland, has said on numerous occasions that educated Black South Africans have also begun looking at alternative places to live as they too (because they are educated - something which marxist governments hate) have been targeted with violence due to their opposition to ANC goals. He had a relative that was car jacked at gunpoint in broad daylight a few years back just down the road from the local plod shop by two off-duty TRAFFIC WARDENS! A few days later his Aunt then saw her car parked within a local government agency security compound right next to said police station. Reported to Police only to get the veiled threat that if she persisted, bad things would happen. Now they never go anywhere in groups less than 2-3 and are heavily armed.

Pre Mandela/ANC years, South Africa was a huge exporter of foods. Since Mandela/ANC gained power in the early 90's, South Africa has become an importer of food due to ANC governance destroying working farms. Then there's the issue of 70,000 Whites and hundreds of thousands of Blacks murdered in race/ideological related attacks by other Blacks pushing the ANC agenda.

When South Africa kicks off, it WILL spill over into neighbouring countries.

I've even got quite a few friends who hailed from  Zimbabwe (they and their parents got out during early 90's) who also enlisted into the Army, and even they have stated SA is a place they absolutely will not go as the can see the writing on the wall.

Have you considered Oz or New Zealand?

Thankyou for the info, I am very aware of the current situation so it is unfortunately no longer a consideration at all! I am getting too old to fight my way out of places any more?

The reason for Cape Town was very very specific so now anywhere is possible?

Archived