• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold and Silver first initial order

LittleJohnSilver

How Do All.

Just been re-watching a few of Shadow Stack's videos concerning "How Would I Stack On A Budget - Aug 2017" which he described as the £150 ish mark, and "Stack Structure Priority Importance - May 2017" where he talks about he would always buy to add to his stack of gold/silver and in what realistic quantities it would be.

I can't remember which of those videos it was mentioned, but he describes how a good approach would be to buy 6 -10 silver coins one month such as a Perth Mint Kangaroo, and then the next month go for a 1/20 gold coin, logic being a good all round stack of gold and silver is increased at a fairly reasonable level. And one very important bit of advice I also got from the videos is Shadow Stacker stating good discipline is essential to maintain and grow the stack.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it was advised good foundation silver coin is best to be a government minted coin such as a Britannia, again logic being it is very liquid of coin of the nation.

Now those videos were from last year, and the monthly amount of £150-£180 mentioned in the videos is actually the amount I intend to spend starting off. My question is, is that still a good format to follow almost a year later or has buying styles changed since then based on market prices etc.

One point for me to make is I'm not buying from a collector hobby standpoint, and purely as a long term investment to begin the process of protecting what wealth I can generate from now till retirement.

All advice greatly appreciated.

I kinda did this when i started,not down to anything from a youtube video but just getting 10 coins a month.If you're talking about getting just 6 coins a month then adding the same coin next month,or the month after to build it up slowly.

It don't always work,As said coin could jump up in price so you end up with only 6 coins of that type.I've found if you like one coin just save abit more and buy more of them in the first place at the right price.Or if you split that 10 coins and buy two of this and that it's even worse :P

I hated having odd coins and a messy stack of all sorts,more so having paid different prices for the same coin.I was always like i'll get 4 of them and 3 of them this month :P As for the gold,best of just buying half sovereigns.

3 hours ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

One point for me to make is I'm not buying from a collector hobby standpoint, and purely as a long term investment to begin the process of protecting what wealth I can generate from now till retirement.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Well, (1) obviously, never get married, that is the best advice I can give.  That leads to (2) never have children.  And definitely never have children without being married.

Do those two things and the rest kind of takes care of itself. :)

... if you already screwed up and got married, then I suppose (3) curb.  Kick her to it.

The premium on 1/20th gold coins make them for collectors imo.  Look at the Queen's Beasts as well as Britannias, they tick the government minted box, are cheap new, a have some future collectable premium.  And buy what you like, aesthetics is one of the advantages of silver over other assets. 

If you're purely stacking to preserve your wealth, I'd also skip silver and focus purely on gold...

• Premiums are much higher on silver
  • Spread is much lower on gold (the difference in what you pay a dealer and what you would get if you immediately sold it again to said dealer)
  • Space - compare £5000 worth of gold to the same amount in silver - you'll also save money by not needing a larger safe :-)

Half sovs are a great choice if you're UK based

Or if you only want to buy afew coins a month,maybe collecting sets/date runs of different silver coins would be best.Rather then buying six random coins a month,then you only have to buy the coins for said sets when they are released.The rest of the time you can buy half sovereigns or whatever.

11 hours ago, Lowlow said:

Well, (1) obviously, never get married, that is the best advice I can give.  That leads to (2) never have children.  And definitely never have children without being married.

Do those two things and the rest kind of takes care of itself. :)

... if you already screwed up and got married, then I suppose (3) curb.  Kick her to it. - Ice cold. I like that thinking!

Amen to that Brother!

I am fortunate to be single and no children, so any money I make is 100% for my own usage. And if I ever did have children, it most definitely would not be before marriage.

8 hours ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

Amen to that Brother!

I am fortunate to be single and no children, so any money I make is 100% for my own usage. And if I ever did have children, it most definitely would not be before marriage.

I'm just doing what society said.  They say I know it can be a little crazy, but if you get married you have to deal with some of that, that is what love is about, give and take.  They say I know you have dreams, but if you get married then you have to have shared dreams, which means a house and kids and a man cave for you.  They say marriage is give and take, you can't have just what you want, you have to give and do what your wife wants too.  They say if you didn't want to support children you shouldn't have kids.  They say if you aren't going to support your wife, even in divorce, then you shouldn't get married in the first place.

FAIR ENOUGH!  SOUNDS LIKE A CRAPPY DEAL!  NO THANKS! :D

On 13/03/2018 at 09:34, pho said:

If you're purely stacking to preserve your wealth, I'd also skip silver and focus purely on gold...

• Premiums are much higher on silver
  • Spread is much lower on gold (the difference in what you pay a dealer and what you would get if you immediately sold it again to said dealer)
  • Space - compare £5000 worth of gold to the same amount in silver - you'll also save money by not needing a larger safe :-)

Half sovs are a great choice if you're UK based

This.

The VAT on physical silver makes it a poor investment - you're paying 20% over spot *and* premium. Sure, you can buy 'VAT-free' silver but at these volumes (6-10 coins/month), the premia and shipping costs are even higher. I've got some - 100oz or so - but then I got wise.

Personally? I put away a little each month. I buy gold as physical and silver as allocated, to avoid VAT on either. Which I buy is determined by the GSR. Right now, that's over 80, so it's 100% silver. If it falls to below 60, it's 100% gold. In between, it depends on whether I've got enough that month for a full sov.

[GSR below 50 will probably have me flipping allocated silver into physical gold.]

Archived