• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My budding stack

Bullionstu

OK so some of you may remember I had a quantity of junk I'd fished out of the river and storm drains over the past 18 months. 

I chopped it all in and bought some 'proper' gold :)

I used plus gold in birmingham as I found their prices really good. Also pictured are two pairs of 18ct gold cufflinks i bought at the boot fair for 3 pounds lol!

I've kept the rings that are 18 & 22ct as it didn't make sense to pay the premium on selling and buying for a few ct.

We also find hundreds of old mobile phones in the rivers around the UK and I had my first pop at refining 'e-scrap'. Got 2.1g from almost 100 mobiles and old computers, which plus gold confirmed was 23ct,  do not bad for a first go!

Sticking at it, buying more as I can afford to

20180311_135919.jpg

20180311_135931-1.jpg

Very interesting, thanks!

I take it your job is connected to rivers etc? Did you work out how much the cost was to extract that gold and if it was cost effective? I saw a chap on Youtube who bought old shredded PC boards and went through the process, fascinating. He said it wasn't cost effective but then he'd paid for the raw material.

I also saw a very interesting documentary about groups of orphans in India who band together and trawl through the contents of sewers at night (one poor lad has to get down there and hand up buckets of raw sewage) and then pan it for gold, making enough to put a very simple roof over their head and food in their bellies. That was quite heart-warming as it kept them safe and off the streets etc. There was a very depressing one about the kids who actually live on the giant rubbish tips over there though. As if the environment wasn't bad enough they were melting metals (I don't think just PMs) off electrical waste, the fumes as well as the run off into the pools of already acrid 'water' was absolutely mind-boggling. Whole communities living on those rubbish tips, amazing.

21 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Wow, just wow!

Congratulations on the refining, how do you do that? Does it involve mercury and/or cyanide? Are you now on some kind of government watch list?

Aqua regia + a number of water butts in the garden = ultimate security :ph34r: Just to be safe it's best to electrify them as well, the only problem is if you've got kids about - you have to run the risk of one of them 'helping' you by 'watering' the plants :o

1 hour ago, whitesands1 said:

Congratulations.  There is a fantastic sense of achievement from making something work that others find too much trouble.

This time next year............

The way I look at it my time is free, so if I sit watching a film whilst trimming gold fingers off circuit boards and I get a little nugget of gold at the end of it I've got something of value for free really. 

I'm going to keep stacking in the hope there is another spike in spot price in my lifetime so I can chip a wedge off my mortgage or something :)

Archived