• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Collectors Market Prior to 2011

KDave

If anyone is willing share I am very interested to hear if anyone has any experience of the precious metal coin collecting market prior to 2011. I am interested to know how popular collecting was during the last bull market and what happened near and at the peak in 2011 in terms of prices and interest in certain areas, and what happened afterwards. Do you think the collecting market is cyclical, perhaps in line with what spot does, or has collecting always been popular and what I have seen in my short time coincidence (I have the impression it has recently become a popular past time with the rise in spot).  

My experience is limited as I started stacking in 2014 and bullion dealers sold a sovereign as bullion for the most part, young head, jubilee head it didn't matter, all for the same premium, condition was irrelevant for the most part. Sovereigns were fractional gold and gold wasn't doing too well. Now there is a premium for such varieties, certainly for condition, premiums and interest in them seems to have risen in 2016 and post brexit (spot price related) but this could be coincidence? I started collecting british pre1920's crowns early 2015 and managed to get many a good example for a small premium above spot. Old sterling coins can still be had on occasion at good premiums but the higher end material has definitely increased in price and is still selling well, there is a larger interest in them in my limited experience. 

Has there been a 'resurgence' in coin collecting? In your experience are we seeing a lot of interest today or has it always been like this. What do we expect going forward. Thanks! 

I can only say if it wasn't for the internet and for example this forum, I wouldn't be collecting coins. Probably it's a combination of this and a rekindling of ex-collectors you are seeing this increase. As for going forward, we can only hope it will go from strength to strength...I hear there's a resurgence in crystal ball gazing:D

I wonder how many people started out by collecting the various 50p, £1 and £2 coins in their change and progressed from there? Social media has also likely had a big influence too, did coin collecting used to be seen as a bit nerdy but now it's quite cool?

this is not from experience but my theory is that if demand for

bullion picks up then the better grade coins and collectibles

will rise in premium. if a dealer can sell any old bullion coin for

spot+3% then why would they sell more premium stuff for the

same price?

HH

Archived