• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Peter Rabbit 50p Silver Proof . Error ?

Silvergun

Any thoughts on this coin , is it an error on the right ear ? , i have checked most that are for sale on Ebay and none have the same ear as this one . also on the 1st and 2nd photos you can see silver spots through the coloration.

2018 rabbit (4).jpg

2018 rabbit (5).jpg

Looks like the whole colourisation is off-set at the wrong angle, no? From the whole of the underneath of Peter, the green leaf touching TM, the right side of the face and then (more clearly in the top pic) the raised silver parts where the ears should go showing through the colour.

1 hour ago, billyf1 said:

I have 2 Tom Kitten 2017 coins that were like this. I sold one for about ÂŁ2500. The other, arguably way more offset in the print, is off getting graded right now.

What do they grade them as? Simply 'Mint Error'?

I just received my 50p proof.  First time using Royal Mint and experience was terrible.  The coin was wedged outside of the ring against the capsule.  Thankfully the mark is on the capsule and the coin is ok.  Hopefully they will replace the ring and capsule.

AECBAA0D-13B1-41EA-985E-E6705E1E2499.jpeg

I inspected my coin out of the capsule, thankfully the marks are on the outside of the capsule.  I contacted Royal Mint to ask for a replacement capsule but they want me to post the coin back as well.  They are unable to replace a single capsule without having the whole order back, the customer service couldnt explain why they couldnt just post one out.

Not too sure if I want to do this as the coins are sold out so will I be getting someone else's returned coin?

They couldn’t be trusted to send a product out correctly, I have no faith that they would do it again on a sold out coin.

Any recommendations where to get a 50p ring and capsule from? 

22 minutes ago, RichmondStacker said:

Not too sure if I want to do this as the coins are sold out so will I be getting someone else's returned coin?

They couldn’t be trusted to send a product out correctly, I have no faith that they would do it again on a sold out coin.

How carefully did you inspect it? (With a loupe,, yes - what times magnification? Must be six times at least)

You may likely receive someone else's returned coin as a replacement in my experience :( And that may happen multiple times from what I've heard until some poor sod (or sodette) ends up accepting it. I haven't yet got that far myself (touch wood) - reading between the lines I think if you send it back and link the return to some very strongly worded emails and/or telephone contact you have a better chance, also that the Mint might hold some back for exactly these situations (though that may not be the first 'replacement' you get).

Maybe if you're sure the coin is immaculate your choice of replacing the ring and capsule are your best bet (?)

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

How carefully did you inspect it? (With a loupe,, yes - what times magnification? Must be six times at least)

You may likely receive someone else's returned coin as a replacement in my experience :( And that may happen multiple times from what I've heard until some poor sod (or sodette) ends up accepting it. I haven't yet got that far myself (touch wood) - reading between the lines I think if you send it back and link the return to some very strongly worded emails and/or telephone contact you have a better chance, also that the Mint might hold some back for exactly these situations (though that may not be the first 'replacement' you get).

Maybe if you're sure the coin is immaculate your choice of replacing the ring and capsule are your best bet (?)

I can see a very very faint scratch on the coin and that is with the naked eye.  I think the coin I recieved was someone else's return, the reason being my COA is lower than several I have seen sold on ebay before I received mine. 

I’ll send it back and see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, RichmondStacker said:

I can see a very very faint scratch on the coin and that is with the naked eye.  I think the coin I recieved was someone else's return, the reason being my COA is lower than several I have seen sold on ebay before I received mine. 

I’ll send it back and see what happens. 

Naked eye scratch is definitely send it back no question for me.

CoA numbers from the Royal Mint don't mean anything imho - they seem sometimes to just dish them out randomly (and/or reassign them).

Good luck, let us know how you get on - with a bit of steel and a good moan hopefully all will be well :)

The second coin in this series arrived this morning, another scratched coin.

Two orders with Royal Mint, two scratched coins.

At this point I don’t know if I should sack this series off and buy some boring faithful bullion for my stack with the refund or stick with it to see if all four coins arrive damaged?

888DC91A-1037-488E-A35E-4C83F33ED358.jpeg

Archived