• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has anyone made this mistake?

Xander

I auctioned two 1/4 oz gold Libertads on eBay last week, 0ne BU, one Proof, starting bid £240, 7-day auction, I forgot about them until I received an email from eBay telling me they were sold for £240, only one bid each coin, it seems I forgot to put a reserve on them. Costly mistake when you count free postage plus eBay/Paypal fees.

You are not obliged to send them, you cancel the sale any time, though your ebay feedback may suffer if the buyer wants his bargain and doesn't accept to cancel the transaction. I have made some costly mistakes on ebay myself but I just took the hit for the sake of feedback and future sales, but looking back I am not sure it was worth it for the sake of feedback. 

If its the auctions I think then Id guess it was your spammy looking ebay name, low & not 100% feedback + poor listing style that put people off

Looked kind of a scammy auction 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 minutes ago, Kman said:

If its the auctions I think then Id guess it was your spammy looking ebay name, low & not 100% feedback + poor listing style that put people off

I have to agree with this conclusion. I was watching both of these lots and had I known it was a forum member, would certainly have bid for them.

However, the lack of description and low feedback score put me off.

1 hour ago, Xander said:

I auctioned two 1/4 oz gold Libertads on eBay last week, 0ne BU, one Proof, starting bid £240, 7-day auction, I forgot about them until I received an email from eBay telling me they were sold for £240, only one bid each coin, it seems I forgot to put a reserve on them. Costly mistake when you count free postage plus eBay/Paypal fees.

I have to agree with all the comments about the listing. It really did not look like a good auction to bid on.

85% feedback rating is quite low and the photos and description could have been better. 

You could try and cancel the items - but that risks your feedback going lower - but all things considered I think that is not a big issue. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

21 minutes ago, Kman said:

Looking back I agree with you, pretty poor effort on my part with the description. my poor feedback was the result of a sale after the guy won the auction he then refused to pay the postage even though it was listed, I canceled the sale and he left me terrible feedback which is, I think quite unfair, I contacted eBay but they did nothing about it. Thanks for the advice

Lesson learned.

3 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

If you’re going to go down the route of cancelling the auctions (which I don’t recommend on reputational or ethical grounds), be sure that you would be comfortable with the same thing happening to you as a buyer.

I agree, ( do to others) I honoured the sale as it was entirely my fault.

39 minutes ago, Kman said:

I think it's time to change that "spammy" Ebay name, to be honest, I never gave it a thought, cheers.

Yes you certainly did the right thing honouring the deal, with coins on EBAY reputation and feedback is mega important to get the best from it and the sooner you can get 100% feedback the better. On that subject i have just been looking at a gold proof £5 on Ebay, the seller has 100% feedback but had a seriously bad negative over 12 month ago which is now not considered in the feedback score. I would never consider buying this coin because of the asking price and certainly not with that feedback. Whether or not that bad feedback was justified is another question ?

Archived