• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this a 1891 short tail sovereign

gold

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

except that the photo on the Chards page isn't a short tail. in fact I don't even think it has Melbourne mint mark.:(

I noticed that. The photo for the long tail is the short tail ( and the description is about the short tail). Think they got it mixed up ?

Just now, Elements said:

I noticed that. The photo for the long tail is the short tail ( and the description is about the short tail). Think they got it mixed up ?

i didn't look at any other pages. I wouldn't think about buying a coin if the photo wasn't right.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, Elements said:

https://www.chards.co.uk/1891-gold-sovereign-victoria-jubilee-head-avf-london/391

this has the short tail description and photo, but long tail title and price

There is a disclaimer "N.B Pictures may not represent the grade of product purchased." If I was paying that kind of money I would want to see the exact coin before purchase.

23 hours ago, SovTracker said:

Well I see this coin is now on Ebay! The price will make any other owner delighted if it ever sold. If sg86 has 3 from the stack purchased (or was it mountain?), then maybe it isn't quite so rare either?

A price of about a quarter to a fifth of the current price for the condition would sound about right to me - but who knows?

I'm after a better one than the one I have but it came already slabbed and I only paid about a 30% premium to spot for it, so a nice "space filler" for now.

Wow, that’s eye watering. Fingers crossed eh??

2 hours ago, Elements said:

https://www.chards.co.uk/1891-gold-sovereign-victoria-jubilee-head-avf-london/391

this has the short tail description and photo, but long tail title and price

That's a short tail certainly but it's not the melbourne coin.

2 hours ago, Xander said:

There is a disclaimer "N.B Pictures may not represent the grade of product purchased." If I was paying that kind of money I would want to see the exact coin before purchase.

I can understand them not showing the exact coin, so long as they say so. After all, others do it too (Atties). However they should at least show a photo of the exact coin type they are selling.

Looks like whoever is compiling the web pages is getting sloppy.

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I can understand them not showing the exact coin, so long as they say so. After all, others do it too (Atties). However they should at least show a photo of the exact coin type they are selling.

There’s only one person I know who can clear this up! @ChardLizzie

On 3/4/2018 at 20:50, sovereignsteve said:

i didn't look at any other pages. I wouldn't think about buying a coin if the photo wasn't right.

21 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Looks like the whip will be coming out!

Well the original coin on this thread is back on Ebay again at £2,750. The price keeps going up every few days for some reason? Sorry but it is simply not worth it or that scarce and there are much scarcer coins out there at a lower price in far better condition.

The coin looks like its in Fine condition or slightly better by the looks of the wear so a price of around £500 to £600 would be nearer the mark in my book.

23 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

Well the original coin on this thread is back on Ebay again at £2,750. The price keeps going up every few days for some reason? Sorry but it is simply not worth it or that scarce and there are much scarcer coins out there at a lower price in far better condition.

The coin looks like its in Fine condition or slightly better by the looks of the wear so a price of around £500 to £600 would be nearer the mark in my book.

Well chard’s is miles cheaper at £2k for the xf

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 hour ago, SovTracker said:

Personally I think aVF, in this case it might be worthwhile going for grading. Perhaps it’s XF45 or so?

I have mine listed as, one EF, one aEF, one gVF. 

I wouldn't price them at 2k but then again the free market decides the price not me!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

35 minutes ago, sg86 said:

I have mine listed as, one EF, one aEF, one gVF. 

I wouldn't price them at 2k but then again the free market decides the price not me!

Depends how determined you are to sell really

11 minutes ago, Sovsaver said:

Depends how determined you are to sell really

I'm in acquisition phase, not planning on selling anything "decent" for a decade or two !

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com