• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this a 1891 short tail sovereign

gold

3 hours ago, gold said:

Hi, I think that this sovereign I have is a 1891 short tail sovereign. could anyone confirm this

It's definitely not a long tail but there is supposed to be a "medium" tail as well as short. I must confess to getting confused with length of horse tails and tend not to hurt my brain studying them too much.

Are you thinking yours is the ultra rare S3866B (MAM129)?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Yes it it a Short Tail variety S-3866B as you can tell from the two hairlines that come from the left hand side of the tail just after the tail curves down.

The Short Tail is noticeably shorter than the Long Tail. I personally think the Medium Tail is a nightmare to confirm. There are indicators, however, worn dies can also give an impression of a Medium Tail when it actually isn't.

A nice find on the 1891 Short Tail and the condition looks about normal. Most are quite worn but a rare coin all the same.

17 minutes ago, gold said:

Do you think I should get the coin graded. If so what grade do you think it would get

IMO the grade is aVF, so my guess would be about EF45

I would be inclined to send the pics to Baldwins or Spink etc to get the variety verified and an estimate of value.

Having it graded might not achieve much and variety grading can be expensive. Not something I know a lot about though, others will know better.

9 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

IMO the grade is aVF, so my guess would be about EF45

I would be inclined to send the pics to Baldwins or Spink etc to get the variety verified and an estimate of value.

Having it graded might not achieve much and variety grading can be expensive. Not something I know a lot about though, others will know better.

+1 for sending the details to Spink. They are very helpful in my experience (more so than Baldwins...), they would also be able to advise regarding grade.

However don't be surprised if they hang up at the talk of slabbing!:P

As SovTracker says the two spurs can be seen on the coin

image.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Here's my PCGS Graded VF35 for comparison.

I would say that your looks better and as a rarer coin, if you are into grading then I would.

I think you might get an XF40 with NGC but its always difficult to tell from pictures.

NGC have only graded 1 1891 Short Tail and PCGS 4 so you would be in a pretty "exclusive" club!

Whatever you do, you have a nice rare coin to treasure.80850480_max.jpg

9 minutes ago, gold said:

Thanks guys that information is very helpful. I have just sent an email to spink to see what they say. I bought it from a bullion dealer just above the gold price. It was a total shock when I realised it was a short tail. Once again thanks for all your help.

It's been said many times on here, just one of the potential benefits to stacking sovereigns!:)

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

On the topic of tails, is there a standard used for current Sovereigns or does it vary?

If I’m not recalling incorrectly, I’ve seen stock images (even on the RM website) that show one tail design but actual coin pictures show another ?

No idea, modern sovs don't interest me enough to research.

I do know they tend to change the G&D design a little all the time.
With proof coins I doubt whether there will be enough dies made and used over a long enough timeframe to enable the use of different engravings, so that all coins struck will be identical.
With bullion, there may be more scope for differences but realistically, the numbers being produced are not in the same ball park as 150 - 200 years ago. Therefore it is unlikely that differently engraved dies will be used throughout the production run.

Who knows, maybe in 50 years the collectors of the day will be talking about various lengths of tail and searching out the rare ones?

I have both versions of these, will put up a pic in a minute for easy comparison, not that it's needed but still useful :)

They are definitely harder to get in good condition, I've got 3 and all aren't anywhere near the long tail. (On reflection it's actually pretty decent, at least way better grade than the PCGS above)

Personally I've never graded anything, I don't need somebody else to tell me what i have :D

DSC06477.thumb.JPG.640562d900819081b6e1ae1d14975fb3.JPG

DSC06466.thumb.JPG.d881806d97be44c8f57ff6d5e756c170.JPG

DSC06467.thumb.JPG.bc192e3f16b46f541206aa330dba404d.JPG

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Well I see this coin is now on Ebay! The price will make any other owner delighted if it ever sold. If sg86 has 3 from the stack purchased (or was it mountain?), then maybe it isn't quite so rare either?

A price of about a quarter to a fifth of the current price for the condition would sound about right to me - but who knows?

I'm after a better one than the one I have but it came already slabbed and I only paid about a 30% premium to spot for it, so a nice "space filler" for now.

On 27/02/2018 at 10:52, gold said:

Hi, I think that this sovereign I have is a 1891 short tail sovereign. could anyone confirm this.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is like yours right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Sovereign-1891-Melbourne-Horse-With-Short-Tail-DISH-M15-Very-Rare/152931466374?hash=item239b6cfc86:g:DyAAAOSw2tFajA1D

decent premium over bullion, well done!

oh I see chards also have one in. https://www.chards.co.uk/1891-gold-sovereign-victoria-jubilee-head-fine-melbourne/273

Edited by Elements
Another link

2 hours ago, Elements said:

except that the photo on the Chards page isn't a short tail. in fact I don't even think it has Melbourne mint mark.:(