• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign- King George "small head" 1929-1932

boon

Hi All,

I am currently reading up a little more about sovereigns, in fact after searching on here and being reminded about the Marsh book, I have indeed ordered a copy for future reference. But until that arrives......

I have a few sovereigns and I've decided to actually have a strategy going forward, I'd like to collect as many different monarch heads as I can on coins which are bullion grade or low premium.

I see that in 1929 the king george head changed, and when I've looked on chards, these coins seem to sell for a high premium. Is this the case with all george "small heads" struck, or are the ones minted in south africa (the highest mintage of these ones according to internet resources) available at low premium?

This is not an urgent query- it takes me quite some time to have spare money for a sov, and eddie is next on the hit list so my actual purchase date is quite some time off yet! I just thought i'd ask whilst it was on my mind. Cheers! :)

Like any Sovereign it's down to the mintage but also the condition.
Many Sovereigns have been melted down throughout the years so mintage numbers don't always reflect the number that actually survive.
A number of 1925 London's exist that were struck in 1949, 1950 and 1951 by the Royal Mint. That is why they can be in better condition.
Edward's are probably the hardest to get in Mint State due to the lack of detail on the head.
My own favourites are Jubilee Heads but again quality can be a problem except for the 1887 London due to the numbers that were broken out of sets.
Happy hunting and good luck with your collection.

hi Sovtracker, many thanks for the response :)

Interesting point about mintage figures- something i hadn't thought an awful lot about to be honest, very logical! And good point on the edwards too- i've often thought on websites etc that they look a little worn, maybe it really is the lack of relief / detail of the original that doesn't help them.

I've had a look on eBay and I'll track some prices on the small head georges, see what sort of premium they pull on there and keep an eye out on the bullion dealer websites / for sale area when the time comes.

For now i'll look forward to getting the book and more research! thanks again. PS i think my fave so far may be the young lizzy 2 head, i like the hair ribbon! although this is likely to change as I get more i guess :)

I have three which all came from Sharps Pixley, completely by accident. I wasn't really after a small head although I was very happy to add one to my collection. Then another two came along, just like buses!

They are very friendly in the store so if you are near London maybe pop in and I'm sure they will have a look for one for you. They sell George Vs at a very reasonable bullion price. 

1 hour ago, Ansel said:

I have three which all came from Sharps Pixley, completely by accident. I wasn't really after a small head although I was very happy to add one to my collection. Then another two came along, just like buses!

They are very friendly in the store so if you are near London maybe pop in and I'm sure they will have a look for one for you. They sell George Vs at a very reasonable bullion price. 

Interesting, many thanks for the tip :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived