• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK Pre-decimal tips?

CutOfJib

As of right now my collection/stack has been primarily bullion coins, Chinese medals, and some scattered foreign coins, mostly old Russian.  I would like to begin expanding to more numismatic coins, and in particular, several pre-decimal UK silver pieces have caught my eye.  Thing is, I don't know a whole lot about them yet beyond that I think many of them look amazing and have a good deal of history to them., and while I am doing research before buying, there is a ton of stuff out there.  Research is well and good, but input from the experience of others is often equally valuable.  I was hoping some more seasoned collectors here may be able to give me some tips of things to look for, favorites of their own, etc.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing what you have to say!

If you're stacking for weight main thing is to be aware of the silver content, roughly:

Pre 1920, sterling silver (92.5%)

1920 to 1947 50% silver (can spot these a mile away, slightly murky grey colour, almost hint of green)

post 1947, no silver content unless it's a special commemorative coin.

It's usually easiest to get the 50% stuff at close to spot value, but dealers will offer considerably under spot for it.

AAAAnd! the above only applies to silver coins, typically threepence, sixpence, shilling, florin, half crown and crown... phew, almost forgot that

6 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

the 1880s crowns are my absolute favourite. I have too many though. Bought a stack to sell but havent had the heart to do so. 

Funnily enough,  I prefer the 1890's veiled head crowns, the only coin with this portrait I can live with.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

11 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

the 1880s crowns are my absolute favourite. I have too many though. Bought a stack to sell but havent had the heart to do so. 

I'll second Pans, if you do look to sell I'd be interested.

Archived