• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sunday night metal chat

dixiesilvergirl

Well as I have said before, we are  stackers and preppers this means we stack more than silver, gold, platinum, copper and palladium but we also stack for our families immediate survival. We have buckets of staple items, beans, flour, sugar etc.  and the big one I feel is salt, there is a reason people say “worth their weight in salt.” it will be a great barter item if you should need it and at 60 cents a pound it is cheap to stack.  I purchase the items with our regular groceries and about once a quarter I mylar seal a new batch and rotate the items. We have a 6 month supply for our whole family.  Are you stacking for more than your financial security?

Yes. I am a 20 year old married college student who lives in a small house with a cellar in a semi-rural farming community. I stack water, food, and guns (American) as well as ammunition in the cellar. Got about enough to last the wife and I two weeks. I keep the food storage in case of a nuclear disaster. I don't really worry too much about a financial disaster as in that case I've got the precious metals, but in case of nuclear I have masks, iodine, weapons, 4 weeks water and 2 weeks food, toilet supplies to stick it out for a couple weeks in the cellar, and books games, candles, flashlights etc. To keep us sane. In the future I would love to have at least a years supply of food and water but don't have the means right now. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this kind of preparation keeps me going. Otherwise I'd be scared outta my wits being so unprepared. I also keep 72hr backpacks in the house and in the cars in case of a local disaster where we would need to bug out for a few days, but the packs have enough survival tools that if need be I could hunt and fish and bug out for at least a month. Interesting topic! 

I have first hand experience having gone through the 2011 9.1 earthquake in Japan and ensuing tsunami and nuclear concerns at the time.

I have a set up for my family to bug out and/or hang out for a few weeks independently, if necessary (unlikely).

Lifesaver jerrycans are cool but expensive. Lifestraw family lasts for 3 years for a family on daily use. 

And a hand cranked radio, light, charger etc device.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0oCHJ7IdM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=84rUA-GN5ro

15 hours ago, SilverSnacker said:

Yes. I am a 20 year old married college student who lives in a small house with a cellar in a semi-rural farming community. I stack water, food, and guns (American) as well as ammunition in the cellar. Got about enough to last the wife and I two weeks. I keep the food storage in case of a nuclear disaster. I don't really worry too much about a financial disaster as in that case I've got the precious metals, but in case of nuclear I have masks, iodine, weapons, 4 weeks water and 2 weeks food, toilet supplies to stick it out for a couple weeks in the cellar, and books games, candles, flashlights etc. To keep us sane. In the future I would love to have at least a years supply of food and water but don't have the means right now. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this kind of preparation keeps me going. Otherwise I'd be scared outta my wits being so unprepared. I also keep 72hr backpacks in the house and in the car. Interesting topic! 

That is awesome!!! we have our 72 hour back packs and EDC bags too! I agree I can,t imagine not planning ahead, I is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it

13 hours ago, Oldun said:

I have first hand experience having gone through the 2011 9.1 earthquake in Japan and ensuing tsunami and nuclear concerns at the time.

I have a set up for my family to bug out and/or hang out for a few weeks independently, if necessary (unlikely).

Lifesaver jerrycans are cool but expensive. Lifestraw family lasts for 3 years for a family on daily use. 

And a hand cranked radio, light, charger etc device.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0oCHJ7IdM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=84rUA-GN5ro

Wow sorry you went through that, I grew up in New England and we had to be ready to  be stuck for weeks due to weather, I now live in hurricane area and have spent up to 3 weeks with out power during recovery more then once. WE have life straws and all the misc, items. 

I am loving the responses here, I posted this on a similar forum that is mainly USA members and most of them couldn't get past salt, that was apparently very funny to them.  There seemed to be no concern for what could happen, I hope they are  correct but I sure rest easier know that we are count our wealth in calories, rounds and ounces.

We have a seed bank and a portable large water filter, our list is very extensive including sutures. I created a full spreadsheet to track our pantry and to add up the total calories we had to be sure we have enough of everything,  We have taken the whole family camping a few times  and everyone can only use their 72 hour bags, it is fun and they all see they could do it! I guess I really listened in Girl scouts when they said always be prepared!

During the 2011 scenario, the most important thing was accurate information......people can make strange decisions (murmuration) just based on seeing what others do. Fortunately, I had top direct inroads to the correct and daily assessed information so was one of the few that knew what was appropriate action (or in this case non action) to take. Not acting in certain situations is sometimes more viable and effective as acting.

I also had some experience in the military as a younger man and being out on exercise, I can tell you the very first thing you crave the most when you get back to organised society is a hot shower and clean dry non smelly clothes.

When you are out in the field, you long for dry (preferably warm) feet (socks and boots). Life is utterly miserable if you have to put wet socks and boots on again and again and move around (it also damages your feet very quickly due to the wet rubbing and blisters and sores soon develop etc)....the rest of the body is a cinch by comparison.

and without a doubt, the easiest homemade basic tent is dig a small/large/shallow/deep grave (depending on whether it is for one/two or three and whether it is for just sleeping of sitting in), and put a small/large table in it. Then cover it over with earth to create an igloo type deal....and beautifully insulated. Then get dry leaves (dry straw is best preferably as it wont rot like leaves will over time and also act as starter fuel if needed much better than leaves and is also super warm) and lay that down thickly as bedding (create a door type set up as necessary)......it's waterproof if you cover the table with a large mylar sheet and can always come back to it if needed and easy to camouflage as a small bump in the ground.

Also, if you are going to be hanging out there for a while, this is excellent for cooking and tough as hell. You can build a huge fire around and keep warm if you want or just a simple slow burner under it and take your time. This thing will cook an Oxtail and turn it to melt in your mouth delight with veggies and herbs and whatever else you can find.

http://potjiepotusa.com/

and while we are on it, THE best long lasting easy to make survival food you can make for yourself to take anywher and hang from your belt  etc would be Biltong...no doubt about it. The British  lost the Boer war because of this simple food. While The British wasted time camping looking for food, they were simply picked off by natives who could move around fast and independently with a bunch of Biltong hanging from their waist. Also, don't forget, the best place to sit around a fire if there are mosquitoes is actually IN the smoke.....mozzies wont touch you...uncomfortable without eye protection and you will stink but you wont catch malaria or get sick.

3 hours ago, Oldun said:

During the 2011 scenario, the most important thing was accurate information......people can make strange decisions (murmuration) just based on seeing what others do. Fortunately, I had top direct inroads to the correct and daily assessed information so was one of the few that knew what was appropriate action (or in this case non action) to take. Not acting in certain situations is sometimes more viable and effective as acting.

I also had some experience in the military as a younger man and being out on exercise, I can tell you the very first thing you crave the most when you get back to organised society is a hot shower and clean dry non smelly clothes.

When you are out in the field, you long for dry (preferably warm) feet (socks and boots). Life is utterly miserable if you have to put wet socks and boots on again and again and move around (it also damages your feet very quickly due to the wet rubbing and blisters and sores soon develop etc)....the rest of the body is a cinch by comparison.

and without a doubt, the easiest homemade basic tent is dig a small/large/shallow/deep grave (depending on whether it is for one/two or three and whether it is for just sleeping of sitting in), and put a small/large table in it. Then cover it over with earth to create an igloo type deal....and beautifully insulated. Then get dry leaves (dry straw is best preferably as it wont rot like leaves will over time and also act as starter fuel if needed much better than leaves and is also super warm) and lay that down thickly as bedding (create a door type set up as necessary)......it's waterproof if you cover the table with a large mylar sheet and can always come back to it if needed and easy to camouflage as a small bump in the ground.

Also, if you are going to be hanging out there for a while, this is excellent for cooking and tough as hell. You can build a huge fire around and keep warm if you want or just a simple slow burner under it and take your time. This thing will cook an Oxtail and turn it to melt in your mouth delight with veggies and herbs and whatever else you can find.

http://potjiepotusa.com/

and while we are on it, THE best long lasting easy to make survival food you can make for yourself to take anywher and hang from your belt  etc would be Biltong...no doubt about it. The British  lost the Boer war because of this simple food. While The British wasted time camping looking for food, they were simply picked off by natives who could move around fast and independently with a bunch of Biltong hanging from their waist. Also, don't forget, the best place to sit around a fire if there are mosquitoes is actually IN the smoke.....mozzies wont touch you...uncomfortable without eye protection and you will stink but you wont catch malaria or get sick.

Only issue with the dirt shelter is not as good as your basement in terms of nuclear fallout unless you dig 6 feet deep and put 3 feet of earth on top. Take a long time and a lot of energy to dig a hole that large especially in the clay packed earth around my house

Was not aimng this at nuclear, just general.....no fun being in a chemical warfare suit for 5 days in the burning heat of summer somewhere in West Germany (as it was then) pooping through a flap and sucking food through a mask straw....no fun at all.....let alone trying to fight...and sleep.....and Russia and its eastern block was very much a threat at the time....right before it collapsed spectacularly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWVpcypf0w

21 hours ago, PansPurse said:

I sometimes get a carton of UHT milk. So then I can still make tea if I run out of normal milk.

:wacko: From what i remember, not sure i want tea with UHT.  Better solution is some nice green tea, or acquire a taste for black tea without milk.

Just been refreshing some basic kit...Trying to order a firesteel armageddon gobspark with extra magnesium but their website wont let me continue due to where I live....sent them a mail. Got some wetfire tinder blocks coming as well as a Mora Knife Companion Heavy Duty MG and Alpha Rice Series packets ehich are little stars for on the move.. These you wont know but they provide a great meal in a bag. The meals are good with hot water but perfectly delicious to eat in just water. 

http://oishii-j.com/shop/05-en.html

Mind you, in the event of anything, everyone goes and sleeps in local elementary, junior and senior high schools where sleeping mats, blankets, water and basic foods etc are distributed to everyone in the community - everyone just goes to their nearest one wherever they live across the land...it is very organised and easy for helicopters to land in the sports fields, if necessary etc. All over the country there are huge storage containers in every village, town and city with supplies to be delivered to each school, if required.  Mind you, I still like to have my own affairs sorted out. It is good practice and an excuse to take the family into the countryside for fun.

6 hours ago, Martlet said:

:wacko: From what i remember, not sure i want tea with UHT.  Better solution is some nice green tea, or acquire a taste for black tea without milk.

seriously- try it. I think it has moved on over the years, I wouldn't have looked at the muck years ago but now I find it absolutely fine. I, like panspurse, plan for the worst and keep a small carton "in stock" for those "dammit, can't have a brew" moments.

However, your point about a milkless brew applies massively. Ultimate solution to a big problem B)

6 hours ago, Oldun said:

Just been refreshing some basic kit...Trying to order a firesteel armageddon gobspark with extra magnesium but their website wont let me continue due to where I live....sent them a mail. Got some wetfire tinder blocks coming as well as a Mora Knife Companion Heavy Duty MG and Alpha Rice Series packets ehich are little stars for on the move.. These you wont know but they provide a great meal in a bag. The meals are good with hot water but perfectly delicious to eat in just water. 

http://oishii-j.com/shop/05-en.html

Mind you, in the event of anything, everyone goes and sleeps in local elementary, junior and senior high schools where sleeping mats, blankets, water and basic foods etc are distributed to everyone in the community - everyone just goes to their nearest one wherever they live across the land...it is very organised and easy for helicopters to land in the sports fields, if necessary etc. All over the country there are huge storage containers in every village, town and city with supplies to be delivered to each school, if required.  Mind you, I still like to have my own affairs sorted out. It is good practice and an excuse to take the family into the countryside for fun.

wow those alpha rice packets look awesome, I will be checking those out! Thank you! and yes wet tinder blocks are a must, all of our bags have at least 4 ways to start fires, it is so important

On 2/19/2018 at 01:34, SilverSnacker said:

Yes. I am a 20 year old married college student who lives in a small house with a cellar in a semi-rural farming community. I stack water, food, and guns (American) as well as ammunition in the cellar. Got about enough to last the wife and I two weeks. I keep the food storage in case of a nuclear disaster. I don't really worry too much about a financial disaster as in that case I've got the precious metals, but in case of nuclear I have masks, iodine, weapons, 4 weeks water and 2 weeks food, toilet supplies to stick it out for a couple weeks in the cellar, and books games, candles, flashlights etc. To keep us sane. In the future I would love to have at least a years supply of food and water but don't have the means right now. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this kind of preparation keeps me going. Otherwise I'd be scared outta my wits being so unprepared. I also keep 72hr backpacks in the house and in the cars in case of a local disaster where we would need to bug out for a few days, but the packs have enough survival tools that if need be I could hunt and fish and bug out for at least a month. Interesting topic! 

Wow, that is impressive!

Just spent the afternoon home on my day off looking after my kid who is fine and bouncy but running a temperature with a cough. Soooooo, Daddy spent his time buying the Teton Sports Scout 3400 rucksack, RavPower 16W two socket solar panel charger and the Anker Powercore 20100 2 port mobile battery. Keeping it light for movement rather than staying put as staying put, we have everything we need.

I also make some homemade briquets by stealing my wife’s cottonwool buds, spreading each one out in each ice tray compartment, melting candles in a glass jar floating in boiling water and then pouring the liquid wax into each compartment, covering the cottonwool. Then, let them set and you have super cheap briquets for starting fires.

Might as well do something useful while I’m nursing my little girl :)

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:07, PansPurse said:

I sometimes get a carton of UHT milk. So then I can still make tea if I run out of normal milk.

Burn in hell spawn of the Devil! UHT in tea, I'd rather gut myself with a rusty fish knife, or just go without.

And finished off this week’s upgrades with a geertop double layer 4 seasons 2 person tent (could get the wee one in if necessary but Mrs Oldun will be getting her own tent she said, which is sensible....to go in her rucksack) and I added a geertop xxxl double sided groundsheet which could double up for picnics and a bivouac/topsheet all for £74 delivered....all kit I added this week can be carried and work in all weather without any fuss......that is the main focus

thanks for this thread.....I needed to replace some gear and this reminded me :)

6 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

Burn in hell spawn of the Devil! UHT in tea, I'd rather gut myself with a rusty fish knife, or just go without.

Go without! Just go without ....tea? How long are we talking here, an hour, two .......dear God, longer? :o That seditious tongue might be a good place to start with your fish knife.

On a side note, interesting how two very distinct groups of priorities have branched off in this thread.

So,

I'm not a preper, but I love the outdoors. I'm putting together a go bag, but that's basically just pre-packed camping gear for spontaneous weekends in the woods if I've got nothing on and the weather looks nice.

Anyone here read Bushcraft magazine? I started getting it a few months back and am genuinely impressed with the amount of really useful articles :)

Buckle up. Here come a bunch of photos.....but once all folded up only takes up a tiny part of the 34L rucksack coming next week.....the solar panel can lay flat, stand up in a triangle, be attached to the back of your rucksack or to the tent to catch power. Power bank to store excess power (actually the heaviest item)

Youtube the knife model to see what it can do. Superb item and a hole in the casing to let out rainwater etc....i will customise it of course with paracord etc....

EDA8860B-9ACE-40D3-B19E-396960E82701.jpeg

72215C04-5049-42C1-ADD3-B28B390D9902.jpeg

6836CC63-3FD5-4387-8702-CF99A222364F.jpeg

013A9A3E-3A7C-4CCC-A9A3-B399E8582ACB.jpeg

F90A009F-EF67-4A14-B2B0-62D348948B0D.jpeg

FD193899-BD79-4ECA-9306-D365082F3DC6.jpeg

521257DE-5002-4CB2-ACE4-CA65D0B08E28.jpeg

A4870E20-216B-4905-A7C7-BBCD1189D62E.jpeg

25BDC074-6513-4D09-ACF2-CED08D0F7787.jpeg

66E24CE4-3EC3-41F9-B497-742D9DF42DE4.jpeg

4B674C5D-CA2C-4E9B-B117-A69225394849.jpeg

88178100-C47F-4B4F-86BB-B5888BC00317.jpeg