• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pre 2012 Britannia

ilovesilverireallydo

Hi guys, I started buying the odd silver since 2013, but really stacking just over 2 years ago. 

Never been into Britannia’s however some of the older designs seem quite appealing. Any advice on where to look for reasonably priced version? Seems they are quite high in the usual places. Happy to collect toned but not damaged. Cheers!

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Hi guys, I started buying the odd silver since 2013, but really stacking just over 2 years ago. 

Never been into Britannia’s however some of the older designs seem quite appealing. Any advice on where to look for reasonably priced version? Seems they are quite high in the usual places. Happy to collect toned but not damaged. Cheers!

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Oh if you have any going cheap, may be interested!

Hi, Coincidently, today I've just received the last two Britannia coins to complete a BU Britannia run 1998 through to 2018.  I'm very new to stacking, and it was never my intention to collect! But have got somehow drawn in and particularly to:  Britannia, Queen's Beasts 2oz (and unfortunately/ Fortunately Gold 1/4oz coins!), Provident Metals Egyptian Series, London Landmarks and as many Peace Dollars and 90% Kennedy/ half dollars as I can get my hands on.  Latest fad I have is French coins/medals with image of Marianne!  Anyway, I digress.

My view on the Britannia coins is this, am I happy having collected them all? A big YES! I managed to get the whole date run for an average of around £20 per coin, but that of course included a bit of luck on winning some of the coins on eBay very cheaply considering the average price some of the more sought after coins fetch there (bought when auction ended at odd times, mis spelt, odd blemish/tarnish) but also included a bulk buy of 5 sought after ones together from a Forum member and also due to a kind gesture of one forum member who sold me two coins that usually fetch a relatively huge premium for bullion,  very reasonably.   I am in the process of doing it all again! I should add however, I'm not a fussy collector, so the odd ding, blemish, scratch, spot or tarnish doesn't worry me (but that isn't to say I have bought rubbish coins!)

I'm of the opinion that BU 1oz Britannia is a good safe investment bet, but I guess thats well established: Cheap to buy on release, CGTax free (if you think thats going to be a concern then fair play, I hope so) only downside apparently is quality of manufacture and milk spot.  

I figure if I can build up as many 'sets' 1998- to whatever the current date will be, in the longer term (retirement for me!) I should do ok, if bought at a similar or better average than I achieved with naivety and impatience working against me!  

It is pretty clear that playing 'catch up' can prove expensive (wish I had several tubes of each of the 2001, 2002, 2003, 3004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 coins and particularly 2006, 2001 & 2007).  

I would say do it, or at least buy the images on the coin that appeal to you, but I would also add, that any Britannia Year that is released going forward (or if offered at a very low price to you for a legacy year) with the 'appealing' images you speak of, then it would be a canny investment to buy tube/tubes of them, given the evidence of the premium the older dates fetch.  

Just my twopenneth.  

To get you underway with one of the harder to find ones, I bought 2x 2006 Britannia coins last week, one 'carded' for what I think was a reasonable average £30 Each at a coin shop, you can have one of them for the price I paid, plus post to get you underway with the harder to find ones if you decide on collecting the whole date run (I posted photos on 'today I received' only on Wednesday).  

The only reason I am highlighting the 2006 year is that it was my 'pig in the poke' in the first run I collected.  Check out the ridiculous prices being asked on eBay, and this isn't a coin with the 'appealing' image you mention!

But this subject was touched upon here:   

9 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

2006 Britannia coins last week, one 'carded' 

Thank you, I might take you up on that offer. Just waiting to hear from a friend of mine who has been squirrelling away tubes each year. He hasn’t got 2009-2012 but he may have 2000 to 2008, if he does he’s willing to exchange them for 2 2018 for every unique year. I think that’s a good deal...

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Sounds like a great deal 2:1, particularly for the more expensive ones.

As well as the pig- to- find reasonably priced 2006, I also have the 1999 Britannia (love this design) multiple times, and average I paid from my records is £28.73 (that's precise for a Sunday morning!) so I would let that go to you for that price,- for the greater good of funding another set!  Where will this end!!!! Reminds me of my three boys when they were little collecting Pokemon cards....   

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

Sounds like a great deal 2:1, particularly for the more expensive ones.

As well as the pig- to- find reasonably priced 2006, I also have the 1999 Britannia (love this design) multiple times, and average I paid from my records is £28.73 (that's precise for a Sunday morning!) so I would let that go to you for that price,- for the greater good of funding another set!  Where will this end!!!! Reminds me of my three boys when they were little collecting Pokemon cards....   

Will take you up on that offer, give me a day for the other one and may take both! 

Archived