• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advantages of this Slab vs. Non-Slab

999magnum

Definitely get the slabbed.  It would cost you $25 to do it yourself.  Its easier to sell in future and it preserves its condition.  Only downside is if you're trying to stack a lot of them obviously.

Where did you find it (Apmex, JM, somewhere else?)

Just now, tbone said:

Definitely get the slabbed.  It would cost you $25 to do it yourself.  Its easier to sell in future and it preserves its condition.  Only downside is if you're trying to stack a lot of them obviously.

Where did you find it (Apmex, JM, somewhere else?)

No I'm not stacking them, but just getting about 10 or so. I just wanted to know if it's a good idea to buy THAT slabbed coin because it's just bullion. Even though it's only a $5 US difference, I still don't see the point in wasting money if it's of no difference. That's from MCM btw.

3 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

What grade is it ? 

There are some pandas in the sale section that are slabbed and one has toning so i suppose its luck of the draw, if its only for the stack id say just get it raw and capsule it.

There is no grade. That's why I'm asking. It's a bullion coin in a slab. I wanna know if it's a good idea or just a total waste of money.

IMO for that coin no, it is a bullion coin and will only ever be that.  I can get the same coin, put it in a good quality capsule and there would no difference, apart from what the inexperienced buyer believes.  

Slabbed coins are a way of pumping up the price of coins and bullion.   

Just now, Pipers said:

IMO for that coin no, it is a bullion coin and will only ever be that.  I can get the same coin, put it in a good quality capsule and there would no difference, apart from what the inexperienced buyer believes.  

Slabbed coins are a way of pumping up the price of coins and bullion.   

This is what I always thought especially when there is no grade and coming from MCM it's easy to make that assumption. What sort of draws me to this is the price difference of only $6 US and the possibility of a benefit for having new bullion in a slab that's ungraded on top of it. 

2 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Even though it's only a $5 US difference, I still don't see the point in wasting money if it's of no difference. That's from MCM btw.

I like slabs for coins that I collect for more than just the metal content.  So for me, it depends on the coin and why I bought it.  You just want to stack some cheap silver?  Then don't spend money on slabs (if only $5).  Just throw them in a tube and call it a day.  But otherwise, I would pay the $5 because that's how I'm organizing and preserving my more collector coins.  Depends on how you see this purchase I guess.

If it were me I would pay the extra $5 for the slabbed version, although these are bullion coins they are still only 100,000 mintage which is not that big all things considered so should hold some kind of decent premium into the future.  Your extra $5 sees it preserved and protected in a slab from a professional grading company and even labelled as Gem BU you should see your money back easily enough in the future.

5 minutes ago, Agpanda said:

GEM BU is the leftover from when the bigger companys grades coins

It means that it is MS68 or lower

I would stay away

Do you know that or just a guess?  Not saying you're wrong, but just curious how you know that.

They send in 100s coins in each batch

All that dont get the grade they want gets GEM BU

They can even be more rare than the MS69-70

But for me as a colector I want the best, but it has cost me lots of money to think like that

You should check NGC census before you decide

36 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Are there any advantages to buying this slabbed coin instead of the regular bullion? Price is $5 US more than the unslabbed coin.

quickest and easiest way to explain gem BU ..... GEM BS , get ur hammer ready

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

So the next stupid question is what would be a fair price for THIS coin in MS70?

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-great-britain-1-oz-silver-britannia-oriental-border-2-coin-ngc-ms70-fdi-black-core-holder-exclusive-britannia-label.html

$90 shipped at MCM! I feel it's way too much for just a new bullion coin, but I don't trust myself to make these types of decisions and my glue stick is of no help with slabbed coins.

10 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

So the next stupid question is what would be a fair price for THIS coin in MS70?

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-great-britain-1-oz-silver-britannia-oriental-border-2-coin-ngc-ms70-fdi-black-core-holder-exclusive-britannia-label.html

$90 shipped at MCM! I feel it's way too much for just a new bullion coin, but I don't trust myself to make these types of decisions and my glue stick is of no help with slabbed coins.

today is Saturday u will be much happier if u spend 70 dollars in KFC and a few drinks ( minus the coin 20 dollars as raw coin  ) 

both will be SAME end product .... 

19 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

to add on, these are huge mintage coins, 100k I think, so these will be common coins, and Britannia do milk , if they milk inside the slab u get your fingers brunt 

90 dollars, have a nice night out or get gold Britannia, that's is what I would do 

black panther is nice action film , I watched it yesterday and now I want a black panther coin B)

one price ( 90 dollars ) u get a coin and entertainment 

I wouldn't buy a silver Brit slabbed ever, full stop. What's the point of paying a bit extra only to have to break that packaging off just to get bullion value (which is basically all it's worth)?

This is absolutely taking the piss imo, and makes a mockery of the grading companies who do this stuff, they look like an absolute joke.

50 minutes ago, Agpanda said:

They send in 100s coins in each batch

All that dont get the grade they want gets GEM BU

They can even be more rare than the MS69-70

But for me as a colector I want the best, but it has cost me lots of money to think like that

You should check NGC census before you decide

Sweet baby Jesus...

2 hours ago, Agpanda said:

GEM BU is the leftover from when the bigger companys grades coins

It means that it is MS68 or lower

I would stay away

Fully agree. GEM BU means MS65 or better but effectively it is MS65-MS67.

8 minutes ago, augur said:

Fully agree. GEM BU means MS65 or better but effectively it is MS65-MS67.

Shocking practice by the big companies in tandem with NGC imvho.

Does anyone know if PGCS collude to scam (I can't think of another term for it) like this? 

Archived