• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 5,000 Francs Republic of Chad African Lion

999magnum

Is that the latest in the African Lion series and is it a 50,000 mintage and did it come with a certificate?  I've been collecting MS70 ones of these but I'm struggling to get the 2017 for a decent price, we get shafted in the UK for postage and customs.  I like it though but it will probably be 2 years before I see one.

9 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

Is that the latest in the African Lion series and is it a 50,000 mintage and did it come with a certificate?  I've been collecting MS70 ones of these but I'm struggling to get the 2017 for a decent price, we get shafted in the UK for postage and customs.  I like it though but it will probably be 2 years before I see one.

I really don't know anything about this coin. I received an email today from MCM about the pre-release of the slabbed ones so when I went over to check it out I found the bullion way at the bottom of the page and picked one up. 

19 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

Sounds about right, that MCM seem to get first dibs on all the bullion coins and in turn the slabbed ones, they want about £40 to post to the UK which is ridiculous as some sellers can do it for £4.

Let me know please if u can get decent deals 

so far I have 

Up to dates  Ms 70 bullion 

up to dates silver proof 

and a few raw coins of each year 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

32 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

I really don't know anything about this coin. I received an email today from MCM about the pre-release of the slabbed ones so when I went over to check it out I found the bullion way at the bottom of the page and picked one up. 

At 2015, first Coin it was poor sales mcm end up have to reduce price to spot + 1 dollar on Black Friday with 2016 similar stories , many American bought these and melt them :D 

2017 a bit better ,2018 I would expect about the same as 2017 , they said 50 k max montage but I doubt they ever sells 20 k and the rest melted or not minted

• 3 weeks later...

Shaping into a nice series. The '17 & '18 are my favourite. The '15 spoiled the image by having the large banner of "African Lion" across it. Glad they moved that to the edge for the later ones.

The lion on that 2018 proof looks fantastic, one of the best portraits of a lion i've seen. Anyone else got an itchy feeling the 2018 bullion version might not be well suited to having the lion in reverse-proof? Being frosted in the proof really lifts it. I just worry the details of the lion may get lost in all the shine of the Bu. Hope not.

Swagger just sums up most of the point , 

to add on , the entry price for bu are nice not too expensive , worth to have them in the collection box 

2015 is a bit “ old school “ like but they improve the strike since 2017 now it’s nice 

the reason I have got them coz at 2015 I pick those proof up for 25 /30 pound and bu for 13 pound :D 

2016 picked them up for 15 pound bu 

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Wow that 2018 is stunning :o

2017 bu and proof are nice as well 

2016 proof is pretty deep strike but 2016 bu is a bit “flat “ weak strike 

Yes, the Bu was on my list. Who could say no to it at the price, and with that very fine portrait (may be joined by a proof very very soon if i'm being honest! :)) Just not too often a lion is done so well on a coin.

3 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Yes, the Bu was on my list. Who could say no to it at the price, and with that very fine portrait (may be joined by a proof very very soon if i'm being honest! :)) Just not too often a lion is done so well on a coin.

Emk are selling them at a decent price that’s where I get the proof from 

if u need to backdates bu I have spares , can pay by euro :D

wait til Sunday , grand slam then get one of these as celebrations? ( I don’t support any teams ) I just like the sports 

I think this may be similar path as  Somalian elephant , first they do “ toy “ design Zambia and then evolve into nice coin design  after they dictate the markets wants 

Archived