• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

This MUST be a scam right?

So I just spotted this eBay listing: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282836529256

There is no way that could be genuine in my opinion. Interested in others thoughts. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I've seen loads of this sort of thing on eBay and I don't trust it at all at the moment it's at £81 with pics that you can't really see what's in the box so it could be one unlucky winner unless the seller is bidding it up 

Usually it's a "junk draw find" with a lot of old tat in it haha 

If you look at the Krugerrand you will see that the beard does not start high up, so the Krugerrand is not genuine.

Anyone who can read (or compile an eBay listing for that fact) would realise if they had 100g of gold or not.

With 4oz of gold, the first think you do is not start a 99p eBay listing.

A pine wood box with cheap hinges and no sign of a build up of dust, throw in a fake bar and fake coin to go along with base metal currency coins and broken watches and you're onto a winner. Someone bidding is hoping for a 'Del Boy'watch find :D

1 hour ago, augur said:

If you look at the Krugerrand you will see that the beard does not start high up, so the Krugerrand is not genuine.

Anyone who can read (or compile an eBay listing for that fact) would realise if they had 100g of gold or not.

With 4oz of gold, the first think you do is not start a 99p eBay listing.

Yeah, you'd think 5 minutes search on t'internet would tell you how much 100g gold is worth, and you'd be on the phone to cash4gold, not posting on ebay.

2 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

I dont use ebay banned for life from paypal so pretty much means i cant use ebay ? but would you not get a refund if you took a chance on this lot because items in the photo turned out to been fake ?

I doubt it because they are not claiming them to be genuine.

3 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Still counterfeit, eBay will open a case immediately for claimed counterfeit, may take a while but you will get it back

There are thousands of "novelty items" that are allowed by eBay and sell all day long.  As long as they are not claiming it to be the real deal, then eBay are likely to side with the seller if the buyer tries to return.  The seller even says they don't know the value.

Sneaky but buyer beware!!

I had a 'stalker' on ebay once. She bought one item, and then whatever I put up for sale she'd buy. I sold her about five items before I started to worry about her a bit - in fact that may be why I stopped selling on ebay (I forget, it was a long time ago).

I once sold an empty box for a collectible games console accessory. Despite saying BOX ONLY (hoping to just make a quid or two) folk were bidding up to the price of the actual item (boxed). I messaged all the bidders asking them if they'd read the listing properly - I think one or two dropped out but I still went on to sell it for about fifteen quid I think.

Nowt as queer as folk!

21 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I had a 'stalker' on ebay once. She bought one item, and then whatever I put up for sale she'd buy. I sold her about five items before I started to worry about her a bit - in fact that may be why I stopped selling on ebay (I forget, it was a long time ago).

I once sold an empty box for a collectible games console accessory. Despite saying BOX ONLY (hoping to just make a quid or two) folk were bidding up to the price of the actual item (boxed). I messaged all the bidders asking them if they'd read the listing properly - I think one or two dropped out but I still went on to sell it for about fifteen quid I think.

Nowt as queer as folk!

Maybe she wants something else from u ? 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

It's a classic Ebay strategy.

There used to be really good junk lots on Ebay, I remember filching a ton of foreign silver from them back when it was $45 spot. These days its 99% dreck with a load of old junk coins and as someone has said strategically placed 'good' items.

My favourite is the mention on some listing of 'totally unsorted'...... which means 'I've totally sorted through this lot'

19 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Nothing wrong with my box, thank you, people are happy to pay £15 even though I tell them beforehand it's empty :)

I remember at 2016 a few ladies keep on buying my bunc rabbit coins for crazy 13-16 quid at auction  , I message her (s) and I said it is too expensive , they said doesn't matter cos I am reliable , maybe I am stupid I refund them a few quid and a free capsules , they just keep on buying ...... 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

31 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

There used to be really good junk lots on Ebay, I remember filching a ton of foreign silver from them back when it was $45 spot. These days its 99% dreck with a load of old junk coins and as someone has said strategically placed 'good' items.

I miss those lots - often used to pick up some bargains. 

I still occasionally get them - I got a lot few months ago with some really good quality crowns and half crowns worth much more than melt value but picked up at melt

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Couple of bidders took it upto £400.  :blink: Dont know if there's value in the stamps, big gamble.  I like the way its covering coins, stamps and watches, that's all the expensive collectables :lol:

But... there's something about the bar, its so obvious who in their right mind would expect that to be real, so why would a scam put it there, I cant help wonder... 

48 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Couple of bidders took it upto £400.  :blink: Dont know if there's value in the stamps, big gamble.  I like the way its covering coins, stamps and watches, that's all the expensive collectables :lol:

But... there's something about the bar, its so obvious who in their right mind would expect that to be real, so why would a scam put it there, I cant help wonder... 

Probably people who don’t realise the number of fakes in the market. I often see people bidding heavily on Silver layered coins and bars

Archived