• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

C over rotated C?

TheGoldSovereign

My first thought is that this is a C over a rotated C, but then there is something sticking out the side of the C also, what do you think?

DSC06338-2.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

1 hour ago, sg86 said:

My first thought is that this is a C over a rotated C, but then there is something sticking out the side of the C also, what do you think?

I've seen a few variations on the C/rot C theme, not all of them convincing. I firmly believe there are several die variations around the C in Victoria, it's a fertile area for some reason. It's generally on the 1861, is this the case with yours? I don't think it's a C under there but what I'm not sure. There also looks to be another "square" corner to the bottom left of the C, (to where @Cornishfarmer points out, to the lower right, the way your photo is orientated)  If that makes any sense?

52 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Definitely something out the side, is there something out the top of the c at beginning or is it a shadow?

yes definitely something there. you see this area quite a lot.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've seen a few variations on the C/rot C theme, not all of them convincing. I firmly believe there are several die variations around the C in Victoria, it's a fertile area for some reason. It's generally on the 1861, is this the case with yours? I don't think it's a C under there but what I'm not sure. There also looks to be another "square" corner to the bottom left of the C, (to where @Cornishfarmer points out, to the lower right, the way your photo is orientated)  If that makes any sense?

yes definitely something there. you see this area quite a lot.

This is an 1851, no recorded C/C in Marsh, Bentley collection or other, which is why I'm logging it as a new variety (I have 2). Just want to record it right :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

3 hours ago, Xander said:

Help. Just wondering if anyone would know if this is a crack or repair to the T.

Not sure if it devalues the coin or not.

It's a die crack. it starts at the edge, you can clearly see it the whole depth of the coin, goes through the T and then peters out toward the head.

I've never seen one this obvious through the whole thickness of the coin before.

It shouldn't have any effect on the value of the coin, which looks to be of a high grade.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's a die crack. it starts at the edge, you can clearly see it the whole depth of the coin, goes through the T and then peters out toward the head.

I've never seen one this obvious through the whole thickness of the coin before.

It shouldn't have any effect on the value of the coin, which looks to be of a high grade.

I agree I think it's a chip in the die.  Chips become raised areas on coins, and the reason it looks like a chip is because if you invert that image and imagine the high areas as low areas you can see that to make a raised area like that all you would have to do is knock the edge off of the letter and it would turn out like that.

18 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Thanks for that info, its good to know these things with future purchases. It's a 3rd head 1871 shield back. MS 61.

16 minutes ago, Xander said:

Sorry mate, it was to save me starting another thread. Cheers!:)

Hehe only jesting! I also feel silly starting a new thread for every overdate and variety so will start a thread and see if we can have it stickied or something

The Gold Sovereign

Archived