• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Biggest disappointment on buying

silversurf

As a newbie some 9 months ago I decided to jump in to pm' s and buy my first coin. It was a 2017 silver britannia it lòks a beauty from the Photo's. What a disappointment... nothing about it stood out and as for the pebble dash finish well enough said.....im sure there are lots of coins that have had a similar response.

In my case it wasn't a big outlay. BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

Saying that have fallen for the proof versions as a new collection. 

Any other love/hate relationships???

1/10 Britannia, that was very small.. very bland

A 1887 half-crown, very dull and junk looking

The most disappointing thing in the world though is getting a coin you like and inspecting it to find out it has scratches or spots 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

The size of the 1 gram maple. Normally I am easily tempted to remove coins from blister packing - this I wasnt at all. I would probably loose it if I did. Its well made, but they should have gone for diameter instead of depth. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

20 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

The size of the 1 gram maple. Normally I am easily tempted to remove coins from blister packing - this I wasnt at all. I would probably loose it if I did. Its well made, but they should have gone for diameter instead of depth. 

Just got mine. Yes, absolutely with you, without the blister I'll lose the damn thing, maybe I should send it to be graded/slabbed ;)

That said it makes my half sov look much bigger

Things appear to have changed at the royal mint in recent times, but a couple of years ago everything I bought had scratches and finger prints to some degree or another. Especially the proof coins, for some reason they had to have 2 or 3 goes to get it right and postage costs and trips down to the post office to return the coins became a routine. :rolleyes: The last one (last straw really) was the quarter ounce gold queens beast proof lion, scratched up - I sent it back for a refund. I would call the experience the end of a cumulative series of disappointments from them. Then just when I thought it couldn't get any worse they released their version of lunar year of the dog. :lol:

1 hour ago, KDave said:

Things appear to have changed at the royal mint in recent times, but a couple of years ago everything I bought had scratches and finger prints to some degree or another. Especially the proof coins, for some reason they had to have 2 or 3 goes to get it right and postage costs and trips down to the post office to return the coins became a routine. :rolleyes: The last one (last straw really) was the quarter ounce gold queens beast proof lion, scratched up - I sent it back for a refund. I would call the experience the end of a cumulative series of disappointments from them. Then just when I thought it couldn't get any worse they released their version of lunar year of the dog. :lol:

But did you see that the royal mint put out a YouTube video and "how it was made" and the inspiration for the coin from the designer !! Well just a load of bad really so now you know why the coin was so bad ?

Just bought a few "Silver Shield Pieces of Eight", they look really nice in pictures but the finish of the coin in the flesh is not great.

The relief isnt deep enough, so the design become quite hard to distinguish, ok but disappointed as it could have been much nicer.

Archived