• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half sovereign..where to buy them

realbluegold

Hi! I've read in another thread that the half sovereigns are a good alterantive to de 1/10 oz gold coins. Are those coins minted every year or all of them are old? I don't know about english coins because I'm from Barcelona so....hahahahah a little bit of info would be appreciated...I've ssen a lot of different halves...QEII, Kings, etc.... I'm also afraid to buy old coins because maybe they are less valuable because thy have scratches, aren't they?? Well...if someone can enlight me... :D Thanks!!!

Half sovs are a great alternative to 1/10 oz gold coins. In fact you get more gold for your money. 3.1g in 1/10 ounce, 3.6 in a half sov, half a gram more in fact. The coins are minted every year, but the royal mint doesn't offer out to bullion dealers to sell every year. That's why the half sovs you see online are not this years for example.

Unless you know about what years are rare, I would advise you to just buy the cheapest half sovs you can. If you can get them at the same price or below that of a 1/10 oz coin, grab it. In the end, at some point you will sell them, and having an extra half gram should mean money in your pocket.

Hope that helps.

Assume value is weight of fine gold only so scratches etc have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on price.

However, some dealers will always charge you a higher price for Victorian Shields etc.

Some bullion dealers don't care and you can frequently receive such a coin or even a proof for spot plus 3 or 4%.

Selling to these dealers is at a fixed price usually 98% of spot or maybe spot if you are lucky and they don't adjust price according to coin condition.

Some bullion dealers don't care and you can frequently receive such a coin or even a proof for spot plus 3 or 4%.

I've had two proof half sovs, one from a local dealer and one from an online bullion dealer. Both times I paid only a few percent over spot.  

• Founder & Administrator

To answer the OP question.

HGM have preowned half sovereigns for 4% over spot but you have to keep checking their site as stock goes quickly. And is replaced when more come in. Not sure if they ship outside of UK.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/Buy/OrderForm.aspx

I don't know any other sources for sovereigns as I don't collect them. But hopefully some other members can give you some good links to dealers with half sovereigns.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I've had two proof half sovs, one from a local dealer and one from an online bullion dealer. Both times I paid only a few percent over spot.

Good isn't it when you pay only 3 or 4% above spot and receive a proof or two !

I even got mine in RM screw caps - that suggests coins from a boxed set were traded.

Perhaps people inheriting stuff decide they want to convert to instant cash so the odd bargain does surface from time to time.

Good isn't it when you pay only 3 or 4% above spot and receive a proof or two !

I even got mine in RM screw caps - that suggests coins from a boxed set were traded.

Perhaps people inheriting stuff decide they want to convert to instant cash so the odd bargain does surface from time to time.

I'm keeping my eye open on ebay because sometimes people will sell the boxes and COA's that the coins originally came in. I would like to reunite my proofs in some original packaging. It certainly won't hurt the future selling price if I do.  

I'm keeping my eye open on ebay because sometimes people will sell the boxes and COA's that the coins originally came in. I would like to reunite my proofs in some original packaging. It certainly won't hurt the future selling price if I do.  

I keep looking myself but the COAs and boxes I require never appear or the seller wants a ridiculous price.

A few proofs I got cheap however do show tiny scratches or blemishes as if someone tried to rub off a greasy fingerprint so they are only worth their bullion price unless someone is willing to pay a bit more for a rather nicer looking coin. When I come to sell I would advertise correctly as a proof but sold as a bullion coin - I got caught a couple of times buying proof Sovereign and Britannia sets on eBay described as perfect. Seller should have gone to Specsavers.

Archived