• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A New Purchase

Mosquito

Hello Forum

After my first post and all the advice I received regarding to what would be a good foundation to my stack, I have taken that advice and I thought I would show a couple of photos. The new additions to my small collection are stunning. 

A 2018 1/10 Gold Britannia and Several 2018 Silver Britannia.

Thanks again everyone, I am very pleased with this purchase.

20180203_190315.thumb.jpg.e4d0e1556659ba1cb78ae367fb938706.jpg 20180203_190536.thumb.jpg.ce092fbe118f99382b1d843e7591489c.jpg

I'm also a new stacker and new to the forum, so was wondering whether you have milk spots on the Britannias?

I have two anniversary Britannias and sadly both have milk spots...

@LiX  Sorry to hear about your Britannia's, mine are without any milk spots for now. I have read a lot and watched a lot of videos online concerning milk spots and I have come to the realisation that I have three viable options.

First: Sell them.

Second: Put them in a tube for generic weight bullion - out of sight

Third: If its not a low mintage proof - use a clean white rubber or silver cloth on them - if it is a proof try to get over it with a drink and then, see options 1 and 2.

@WealdenWoodsman     I might keep going this direction for a year with the odd proof now and then, however, next I will most likely be getting a Silver Panda for my daughters' birthday as she has pointed it out to be her favourite one when she saw me browsing online last week. 

@Mosquito Well, the thing is that Britannia's are not the only one with milk spots, which I have..

I have 20 Queen's Beasts (5 of each beast) and almost all of them have milk spots, worst are the Lions. Selling them is not an option as I want to complete 5 full series, so cleaning is the way to go.

Britannia's and Queen's Beasts are very shiny coins, don't use rubber/eraser on them as you will clean the milk spots together with the shiny look of the coins. Jewelry cloth works, but makes little hair scratches. On such highly polished coins this is clearly visible.. so.. I don't know. Have cleaned two coins and the others left as they are - milky.

You are lucky that don't have milk spots on yours.

@LiX  Really sorry to hear you have had such back luck with the Royal Mint, I have been really fortunate so far. I guess your really lucky you didn't get them slabbed before they came out in milk spots, that would be sickening. I'm with you, I would just whizz a cloth over them and accept they are what they are, a real shame though buddy.

As you have said it would effect the visual shine but, out of curiosity how much would a slight whizzing to a bullion coin which has not be slabbed effect the future sell price ?

I have seen a lot of British pre -1920 selling online that have been obviously whizzed or tested at some point. I maybe completely wrong but its my understanding unless they are a specific low mintage year / proof or have something special numismatic wise like a minting error (all of which is something I do not know much about), they generally seem to sell for around the same price and they are almost a century old.

Archived