• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1874 Sovereign St George

Ojay45

Well, none of the "pros" answered you yet, so if you're happy with one of the amateurs...I think it's an EF coin, but I wouldn't bother with grading myself. The reason being, I bought a slabbed AU58 shield sovereign a few months ago from the forum here and to look at the coin it looks "mint" to my eye, even now after that time. So, your coin might get AU58 and that's not going to make it's value rise considerably (AU58 = EF).

Looking in Marsh it has it as rare (M87) and goes on to say the mintage numbers are included with theshield type of that year as they ran concurrently for a while, looking there it says a mintage number of 520,713 (the shield is R4!). So, you might want to look in to that, just for interest, then that might help you decide if grading is relevant or not. Interestingly, the price guide that comes with the Marsh book gives an EF value of ÂŁ300, which might seem a bit mean for a coin that's rare!

I've probably not helped much, but some knowledge of your coin would at least add some interest, if not help you decide to grade or not.

I totally forgot to say, it looks like an absolute beauty :wub:

It's a nice coin but in general YH G&D's are only worth a good premium in UNC grade, which yours isn't. The obverse looks EF but I would have concerns about the reverse, there looks to be a few flat spots around the horse's head area. It wouldn't surprise me if it achieved a AU58 though. It might be worth a shot as it's classed as Rare.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Thanks for that info sovsaver and yeah is my fav coin so far, next on my list is a shield then maybe back to silver for a bit ? yeah from what I found on the coin was low mintage and can be hard to find but like you say don’t seem to cost as much as you would think that shield you have most be a pretty coin, Thanks for your gradeing Steve I know most st georges would not be worth gradeing unless unc like you say.I will just hold on to it for now and see in the future if to grade or not thanks guys ?

Well looking at the pictures I would say its an AU58 as long as there are no "Surface Hairlines" from cleaning.

If it is an AU58 minimum, I would get it graded because its value should be in the ÂŁ400 to ÂŁ500 range in my opinion.

Why? because PCGS have only graded 14 of these coins and NGC 15 - this is a very low number for any year and with a mintage figure of 520,713 - low by any standard!

Thanks for your input sovtracker I try post a few more pictures soon,yeah the mintage is what I though made it stand out and why I though I ask about this coin and that it does not look bad and is quite clean I haven’t been collecting for long and still have a lot to learn. I couldn’t find if many have been graded myself thanks for that info if the next few Pictures I post seem alright I will go for it I think. 

Archived