• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold sovereign shieldback prices

NRSovereign

so what years/mintmarks do you have?

I think your first one was a 1871 London, then a 1879 Sydney. So what's the 3rd one? There looks to be a Melbourne there unless I'm mistaken and a 1880 you haven't mentioned.

If it's a 1880M that's a result; a rare coin, R2 in Marsh!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

ah yes the top one is a half, i wasn't paying attention.

just saw the 1880 that hadn't been mentioned and got excited! With my eyes, I didn't even notice the size difference!:wacko:

Really must stop looking at these things late at night.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The coins look nice and £280 is fair. I pay similar for 40s/50s and going by @BackyardBullion sold prices that's a good investment!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Wow, like the 1880 Half Sovereign! London mint die number, obverse 5.

I was recently researching these looking for the rare low relief version, I got in a proper tangle using Spink and Marsh (they seemed contradictory).

I'd love to hear what you paid, if you're willing? In any case, it's a lovely, lovely coin and you clearly have a good supply :wub:

I'd like to know what a "local dealer" is, I don't know of any shops near me that sell sovereigns, the only brick and mortar place i've bought coins from are large dealers....

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

29 minutes ago, sg86 said:

I'd like to know what a "local dealer" is, I don't know of any shops near me that sell sovereigns, the only brick and mortar place i've bought coins from are large dealers....

Nearish to me I can name a few. In the Arndale Center (Manchester) there’s a gold dealer has a few, likewise in Chester there’s a few pawn shops. Neither I don’t think are as cheap as the well known online dealers (HGM etc)

Archived