• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello

RelativeAlpaca

Hello everyone, I am a new stacker/collector from Kentucky, USA. I have been hearing good things about this forum, I look forward to learning as much as possible.

I am currently building up silver eagles and maple leafs and some random higher premium coins. 

9 minutes ago, Silverhunter said:

God luck with your goals early on I kept on getting maple one of the best looking coins imo. But slowed down on them a lot due to the milking liking the libs and eagles more now

yeah the milkspotting made me stop collecting these too. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Maples are definitely the best thing to start with. Not just because they are Canadian which makes them the best, but also because they are the easiest one to find every year of except for one or two. On top of that, you won't be paying the premium per coin for the older ones that you do on almost any other collection.

120oz is also a very reasonable goal. It is not too ambitious for someone starting out that just "wants it all" and won't break the bank as you figure out where your stack/collection is heading.

@Cacc I agree, maples were my first love. I'll always have a spot for them in my safe, they caught my eye long ago so they were the first coin i purchased. Thank you, I'm obviously hoping for more but 120 ounces is totally doable for me. I don't want to overreach and hurt myself financially but at the same time I have the fever. Lol

The best advice I can give to new stackers/collectors is to just buy what you love. You can buy a 100oz bar for very little premium but then you just have a 100oz bar. If you are just stacking for numbers, than that is the best value for the money. If you are more leaning toward collecting then you will pay a larger premium but have much more beauty to look at.

I have some hunks of metal just sitting in the safe, but the coins and art bars definitely get out a lot more and are much more interesting to look at and show. The is a cost (in the way of higher premiums) to that, but it really is so much more satisfying. Having 100 different little things verses one big boring thing -- there really is no comparison. I guess it depends on personality, but passive buying I find to be rather boring; passive meaning just buying whatever is cheapest per ounce when your wallet gets full. Actively hunting down beautiful coins and then finding them for the right price, and in the process finding something else that tickles your fancy too.

One is just a hedge and meant to sit, the other is a hobby.

1 hour ago, Cacc said:

The best advice I can give to new stackers/collectors is to just buy what you love. You can buy a 100oz bar for very little premium but then you just have a 100oz bar. If you are just stacking for numbers, than that is the best value for the money. If you are more leaning toward collecting then you will pay a larger premium but have much more beauty to look at.

I have some hunks of metal just sitting in the safe, but the coins and art bars definitely get out a lot more and are much more interesting to look at and show. The is a cost (in the way of higher premiums) to that, but it really is so much more satisfying. Having 100 different little things verses one big boring thing -- there really is no comparison. I guess it depends on personality, but passive buying I find to be rather boring; passive meaning just buying whatever is cheapest per ounce when your wallet gets full. Actively hunting down beautiful coins and then finding them for the right price, and in the process finding something else that tickles your fancy too.

One is just a hedge and meant to sit, the other is a hobby.

I love the chase, and having a pile of coins to take out and handle and show my close friends and family is very satisfying to me. I'm sure I will buy large bars when a deal comes along in the future but for now I'm loving collecting. I've turned my parents and siblings on to stacking and collecting so that's another benefit. To me there's nothing like getting my hands all over real money. lol

Archived