• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

$200 Half Sovereign. Good Price?

999magnum

I always found that they tend to be a little more expensive in North America, but I guess I have been paying around $200-210 lately in CAD which is about $160-170USD as of today. At the current gold price of $1663.59CAD, the spot value is $195.80CAD or $156.70USD. At $200USD that would be 27.6% above spot which is crazy! With @Sovereign's numbers that would put it closer to 6% which makes is a decent premium for foreign gold.

Sovereign is correct, I sell between 120 to 130 delivered depending on where it is going. 

Its an interesting coin usually the smaller you go the bigger the premium but over here that is not really the case on half sovs, they are a value play and very very liquid. I have a lot of people drop me a line asking if I have half sovs in. 

Just now, oliversw5 said:

Im a collector, I have contacts the world over, I can't buy for spot unless I rip people off. Maybe my priorities are wrong...

I guess he didn't actually say he's ever bought any gold for spot, just that he wouldn't pay more for that piece. Mind you, I think he said last week he's just bought his first gold coin so he's obviously picky:lol:

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I guess he didn't actually say he's ever bought any gold for spot, just that he wouldn't pay more for that piece. Mind you, I think he said last week he's just bought his first gold coin so he's obviously picky:lol:

My sarcasm detector is off the scale here, maybe it needs recalibrating?;)

13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm sorry, just kidding. Don't want to get arrested by the Troll Police.;)

I think he means “ mate “ price hence spot price 

recently I have sold some gold at spot price 

and I might sell some proof gold coins at spot as well , brand new coins ;)

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I always buy the highest condition I can afford.Below AU it has not interest for me.

I said,personally,not everyone should do that.

I have silver coins ,under 1 oz silver content,for which I paid 300 GBP. How much would be the premium for that?;)

@sovereignsteve seems to understand me.

4 hours ago, 999magnum said:

@Alex just out of real curiosity, you're a silver collector? What sort of silver do you mostly collect? 

victorian crowns,japanese yens,qing dragons,ceres francs,victorian rupees,milled british,american dollars,buffallo nickels,italian liras,limited mintage britannias,kookaburras,might have forgotten some.Thats what I have now and I really like to stack that .

I want to get some nicholas II roubles,mexico 8 reales,george III and IV half crowns,wilhelm II marks and more.

In general I like big coins all over the world :)

Thats my stash,started 1 year ago from zero.Not bad in 1 year for a simple guy like me.

Some coins I like the most.(1911 China Qing Empire Hot Flame Dollar,1849 5 Francs Ceres,1885 Japanese Meiji Yen,1887 Victoria Crown,1900 Victoria rupee,1906 China Empire ten cash,1875 Japanese 2 sen)

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

DSC_0713.JPG

DSC_0714.JPG

DSC_0715.JPG

DSC_0716.JPG

DSC_0717.JPG

DSC_0718.JPG

9 hours ago, Ravinella said:

Pretty expensive sort I would reckon for £300 for  less than an oz 

An Chinese Qing dynasty dragon dollar graded MS/UNC by PCGS costs thousands or ten of thousands :(

I wish I were a rich man

27 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Very interesting coins! I'm really not familiar with any of them except for the British Crown thanks to BYB. Do you collect those Chinese coins as an investment or is it just something you can't be without?

It's something I can not be without,I'm very attached. Someday I might sell them.I have started to collect just for the pleasure to hold/own,the beautiful designs and the amazing feeling it gives me when I hold them in my hands and know it was once a kingdom or dynasty. After the stash got bigger I realised it's a very good investment for the long term so now I do it for my pleasure and as investment. 

I have been collecting coins since I was 13 years old.I didn't have money to buy such expensive coins and never dreamt to own such beauties. I was collecting coins from different countries which were in circulation at that time. One day I found one silver coin in the ground. I remember how amazed I was and metaphorically speaking it sent me back in those times.My father holds that collection for me back home :)

Please pardon my "French"

Archived