• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake Pandas

Agpanda

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

The ebay photos are awful but I guess this 1993 is a fake.  I just had a look at the photos on pandacollector.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Chinese-Panda-Silver-Oz-/201470534134?hash=item2ee89461f6:g:Xn4AAOSwLzdWT3BE

http://www.pandacollector.com/rogue.html

564fd153d8052_panda1993.jpg.0dc7637bdce9

The seller has the 1987 listed too if you can make it out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Silver-Oz-Panda-In-Capsule-/201470532728?hash=item2ee8945c78:g:EV4AAOSwkZhWT290

Yes, it is a fake, there is a battle going on at the moment between ebay with the help of a Chinese coin expert who goes by the name of "baden" who are activly removing huge amounts of fake listings from ebay, it is obvious which coins are faked to anyone who does same research, however in response, it now looks like the fakers are sometimes showing pictures of genuine coins and obviously sending the faked ones when purchased, basically with the exception of a few dealers, namely,  dragonzeng, thincat, hangzhou......., luckypawnshop and a few others who have large positive coin related feedback, dont buy from China!

Always happy to assist if anyone wants a "none binding!" opinion.

Dave

On 2015-11-21 13:39:18, DavePanda said:

there is a battle going on at the moment between ebay with the help of a Chinese coin expert who goes by the name of "baden" who are activly removing huge amounts of fake listings from ebay.

So ebay is removing fake coins?

PS his website is at   https://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?board=346.0

Very informative site for Chinese coin collectors, the top topic is were all the top quality info is, you can use the search function to find his discussion re ebay but it is quite near the latest page.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dave

PPS you can always use the "report a listing" function on the actual listings page if you feel like getting them to remove the coins yourself.

Cheers

Dave

Didn't know where to post this but if it is ok, I will relay my story from today. I was in a local buy, sell gold silver coins, bullion shop and got chatting as usual with the chap there. After a while he told me that someone came in with a small Perth Mint certified bar in official looking casing which was fake the owner suspected, as when he asked to break open the casing to check, the customer got nervous, changed his mind about selling and hastily left but not before the owner had the opportunity to glimpse inside his wallet at what appeared to be another dozen or so lined up inside ( when the shop owner asked for ID as they always do before business is conducted, he spotted them as the customer looked for his ID).

On Ebay Uk today, lots of Pandas for sale many don't look right, example in plastic wallets, now theres a daily influx of 5 oz Pandas, many of the one ounce are getting no or the odd bid around £6, the 5oz are getting bids but not even reaching half the price of a 1oz.........now I've been in the collecting,/finance business for more than 30 and common sense tells you [me] that if these were genuine, sellers wouldn't take a hit on cost price and continue to sell them, so even without seeing them its obvious they're fakes, this is increasingly happening every day!

1 hour ago, DavePanda said:

Just looking at todays ebay completed items... Have a look at this one, real or fake?  Someone had a great buy or not? What do you think?

Cheers Dave

I saw this one and thought it was real even with the poor photos. The condition put me off. Ive saved enough pandas over the years! 

That's the same seller I posted about higher up on this page.

It was the 3 in 1993 which stood out the most to me in their photo.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 02:03, HelpingHands said:

The ebay photos are awful but I guess this 1993 is a fake.  I just had a look at the photos on pandacollector.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Chinese-Panda-Silver-Oz-/201470534134?hash=item2ee89461f6:g:Xn4AAOSwLzdWT3BE

http://www.pandacollector.com/rogue.html

564fd153d8052_panda1993.jpg.0dc7637bdce9

The seller has the 1987 listed too if you can make it out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Silver-Oz-Panda-In-Capsule-/201470532728?hash=item2ee8945c78:g:EV4AAOSwkZhWT290

On 07/12/2015 at 20:52, DavePanda said:

Yep. fake... So many things wrong with this coin it is untrue... However I dont think it is a good course of action to point out the errors, just in case it gives a guideline to the scammers for future production of their wares.

They could easily buy the book.;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

In the early days Peter Anthony was comparing the fake with genuine ones side by side, I remember reading somewhere that that is now not the case since it provides a blueprint, the fakers dont need to buy the book,they copy the original coin the best they can, however if the errors are not readily talked about, just that people know what to look for, it must make the fakers job harder, the four easy things to tell are the fur, eyes, date style and the double sealed packaging errors, amongst lots of other errors that when you know what to look for are easy to spot.. Unfortunately what is happening now is some are showing pictures of genuine coins and sending fakes, hence you have to be careful who (where!) you buy from.

After all this reading and learnng time spent sorting the wheat from the chaff, I feel some people still expect to purchase coins from me at ultra low prices, despite the fact that I have taken all the risk away from them, I get some who want me to jump through hoops, going out and checking my coins that are not kept with me, giving them prices, writing lengthly replies and you never hear a thanks but no thanks, nothing, with the exception of the three people who I have dealt with regularly (they know who they are!) I wont be selling anymore Pandas via this forum, so please,those who have purchased from me please dont recommend me as a supplier of these coins. I thank some of you for your recommendations and kind words, honestly it is not worth my while.

On the other hand I am always happy to help anyone who has a question regarding Pandas or Chinese coins in general, I will do my best to answer any concerns anyone has, it is always a pleasure to assist people with this fascinating area of coin collecting.

Cheers

Dave

• Founder & Administrator

If you ask the seller a question isn't the question public if it's before x amount of time before the listing closes? Or are those quotes ruins only public if he answers?

Could just ask 'Is this coin counterfeit?'

I don't know why eBay allow counterfeited coins, selling a coin as silver plated may sound like it's not breaking any eBay policies, but these coins are all counterfeit currency, surely it is illegal to sell this and eBay are knowingly assisting criminals.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 5 months later...

Archived