• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Red spots on 2015 Gold BU libertads....

Lindeman

Just took a look at two bullion 2015 gold quarter Libertads ....and to my dismay - i see red spots on both sides.  Take a look.  Anyone else had a similar issue? These coins have been in Airtites since i bought them in 2015, so i am a bit  disappointed.  ??

i also have proofs from the same year - with no issues.  

Lindeman 

7DBE47D3-CA93-4F06-AE7C-607F0E16A0F4.jpeg

D9045BAF-EBE5-4D66-A484-9B06F2136A3A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lindeman said:

Just took a look at two bullion 2015 gold quarter Libertads ....and to my dismay - i see red spots on both sides.  Take a look.  Anyone else had a similar issue? These coins have been in Airtites since i bought them in 2015, so i am a bit  disappointed.  ??

i also have proofs from the same year - with no issues.  

Lindeman 

7DBE47D3-CA93-4F06-AE7C-607F0E16A0F4.jpeg

D9045BAF-EBE5-4D66-A484-9B06F2136A3A.jpeg

I believe one of my 2017 one ounce Libertads has a red mark on it. More towards the edge of the coin. Almost looks like a red magic marker on mine.

They don't affect the value, I believe anyone in the market for a low mintage libertad wouldn't mind at all.  You could pay a lot of $ for NCS to remove it, just leave it alone, or remove it yourself with baking soda, aluminum foil, and hot water.  I've done myself this with a proof gold piece with several spots and it worked great, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks guys! 

I am somewhat reassured , as i was wondering if it would impact the value. They are still beautiful ( to my eye almost as nice as the shiny proofs) and i am keeping them all.  @tbone i will resist the temptation to break out the rubber gloves and the baking soda for now??, but maybe if they get bigger.....! 

16 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

On a brighter note however, these remain mighty fine looking coins.  I would love to own them, spots or not.  

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/redspotsongoldcoins.html

I just love helpful articles that are educational - well done Chards !

Is there any guidance on safely removing old fingerprints from proof gold coins without introducing fine scratches ?
For example after trying a rinse in acetone or in an ultrasonic bath with detergent.

Archived