• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Recommended Posts

I have been collecting silver bullion and though it is only bullion I really wanted to keep it all in as good a condition as possible. I have a coin storage case, and within that have been using coin capsules, silica gel and anti-tarnish paper tabs. I was looking at my coins today and noticed this on a couple of the QB's, it's only on the sides. Can someone tell me if this is milking and if so what the hell I'm supposed to do to prevent it which I'm not already doing? I rubbed it with my finger and nothing was coming off.

Thank you.

 

coin.jpg

Edited by D4N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why when I am doing what I am doing. The capsules, silica gel and anti-tarnish paper tabs I thought together would have worked. At least for longer than this amount of time.

And why milking on the sides only?

Edited by D4N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handling them by the sides without gloves before maybe? Who knows.

Don't think silica gel or strips makes any difference, you have my sympathy.... :(  I mostly buy gold now, just a few ASEs for good luck.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you :(

Yes I may start doing the same. I have a little fractional gold and may focus more on this in the future and just buy the odd bit of silver I really like. Unfortunately the QB's are the only silver 'collection' I have been working on and do really like them. Not sure what I will do about the rest in the series still to be released. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe my lions are doing the same. To be honest, as long as its only the edge it's not that bad and even mechanical cleaning wouldn't degrade the coin. It's the obverse/reverse where you don't want to see this. Worst case you can always put them in a PCGS slab, that should cover it up :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milking seems to be a problem relating to the cleaning processes at the Mint with residue chemicals not being thoroughly rinsed off the metal.
This trace residue is then baked onto the coin and can appear anywhere.
If your coin is "unclean" then unfortunately it will show milk spots and stains regardless of how you store it.
My suggestion for the reeded edge of your QB is to use some quality metal polish on a fine cloth and maybe use a penknife to work the cloth into the grooves.
Metal polish will remove milk stains but you will likely scratch polished faces so either avoid rubbing a coin face or be extremely delicate.
On bullion it doesn't matter but semi-numis, that's personal choice, but a spotted coin or stained coin looks a lot worse.

Edited by Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Would it be best to attempt removal as soon as possible? If I wait until a later date will it make any difference to the speed at which the milking continues? Because I assume if it is related to residue chemicals that it will just continue until until all the chemicals have leached out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, augur said:

I believe my lions are doing the same. To be honest, as long as its only the edge it's not that bad and even mechanical cleaning wouldn't degrade the coin. It's the obverse/reverse where you don't want to see this. Worst case you can always put them in a PCGS slab, that should cover it up :ph34r:

how about pcgs grade ms ( stupid grade )  then? 20 quid in the trash and secondly even if slabed doesn't mean u wont get milk spot doesn't matter u vacuum sealed / anti tarnish slips 

12 hours ago, D4N said:

I have been collecting silver bullion and though it is only bullion I really wanted to keep it all in as good a condition as possible. I have a coin storage case, and within that have been using coin capsules, silica gel and anti-tarnish paper tabs. I was looking at my coins today and noticed this on a couple of the QB's, it's only on the sides. Can someone tell me if this is milking and if so what the hell I'm supposed to do to prevent it which I'm not already doing? I rubbed it with my finger and nothing was coming off.

Thank you.

 

 

anti tarnish paper will only delay the process by intercept sulfur-containing substances in the air , depends on where to put them, sometimes it is like 100 people shooting at the goal you can only prevent so many , UNLESS ur container is air tight 100%+ anti tarnish paper then the paper will purify the air inside the box ,

but everytime when u look at the coins the purify process will start from zero again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter if you're just investing in silver. When people rush into metals, even the worst condition coins will fly. It's only  an issue if you're a bit OCD about keeping things in pristine condition. 

My stack of silver is now tarnished and beaten up over the years but never bothered me at all. The silver / gold ratio still massively favours silver in the long term. 

Keep on stacking. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

Depends on how Big is the box , can’t be one paper = eg 20 coins isn’t 

Ive got a lighthouse coin case and have currently have the paper between the coins on the tray. 

Cheers @C12 you are right... I guess I am a bit OCD about it, but my collection is not solely a financial investment for me. 

Edited by D4N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, D4N said:

Ive got a lighthouse coin case and have currently have the paper between the coins on the tray. 

Cheers @C12 you are right... I guess I am a bit OCD about it, but my collection is not solely a financial investment for me, I get more from it that that. 

How about this. Bought this 2008 Britannia 10 years ago and chucked it in a box. Didn't realise the front side had no plastic protection. 

Just dug it out and looks about 200 years old. :lol:

IMG_0058.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C12 said:

How about this. Bought this 2008 Britannia 10 years ago and chucked it in a box. Didn't realise the front side had no plastic protection. 

Just dug it out and looks about 200 years old. :lol:

IMG_0058.JPG

Did u leave it in the oven , I can smell some chips 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

Did u leave it in the oven , I can smell some chips 

Turns out this is a limited mintage coin with a bit of a premium as well. The rear side is immaculate. The sides are black...

I probably should take better care of my stash.

Edited by C12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C12 said:

Turns out this is a limited mintage coin with a bit of a premium as well. The rear side is immaculate. The sides are black...

But I don’t think u can fetch much premium now 

however the way you think is good , now I have a new plan in my mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

But I don’t think u can fetch much premium now 

however the way you think is good , now I have a new plan in my mind 

I didn't a pay a premium originally. Think it was about £14 when I bought it. 

I might stick it on ebay for a laugh and see what it goes for. Would bet it will still go for £25. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, augur said:

I was referring to slabbing with PCGS as they cover the edge so it wouldn't show any more :ph34r:

 

5 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

But pay 20 quid to cover , isn’t it better off to sell the milk coins and get a new one :o

 

Ok, I guess my irony doesn't come across as intended...

I don't see milking as big an issue on (ungraded) bullion but I would love to find the magical cure!

Edited by augur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, D4N said:

Thank you :(

Yes I may start doing the same. I have a little fractional gold and may focus more on this in the future and just buy the odd bit of silver I really like. Unfortunately the QB's are the only silver 'collection' I have been working on and do really like them. Not sure what I will do about the rest in the series still to be released. 

It sounds familiar, my intention was to buy silver as near to spot as possible, scrap sterling silver, the odd bar, that kind of thing and collect Sovereigns. I too bought a couple of Queens Beasts recently though (due to their great design), with a view to start a collection of the set. One of mine has milk spotting on the sides and some mechanical damage in the fields. I sorted it out with the excellent dealer, who gave me a bit of a wake up call. These great looking QBs are Bullion and, does the Royal Mint actually care about quality control? I don't know the answer to that but I decided not to collect the set. I don't think I could look at the coins without feeling disappointed due to the milking etc. So, it's back to the original strategy with a 1 kg bar from arshimo2012.

Edited by Sovsaver
Bad spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sovsaver said:

It sounds familiar, my intention was to buy silver as near to spot as possible, scrap sterling silver, the odd bar, that kind of thing and collect Sovereigns. I too bought a couple of Queens Beasts recently though (due to there great design), with a view to start a collection of the set. One of mine has milk spotting on the sides and some mechanical damage in the fields. I sorted it out with the excellent dealer, who gave me a bit of a wake up call. These great looking QBs are Bullion and, does the Royal Mint actually care about quality control? I don't know the answer to that but I decided not to collect the set. I don't think I could look at the coins without feeling disappointed due to the milking etc. So, it's back to the original strategy with a 1 kg bar from arshimo2012.

I just stick with the cheapest 25 rolls of Britannias I can find. I usually just buy them in bulk from coininvest.com VAT free.

The main thing for Britannias is that they're recognisable, divisible, not subject to CGT and will be very easy to offload when the time comes to sell. They fit all my criteria apart from not being particularly exciting. 

VAT on these coins (in the UK) is extremely sketchy in my view considering they have a face value.

Edited by C12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now