• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Nanoparticles as Antivirals

PansPurse

Stumbled across this article and thought it was interesting. One common refrain is that Gold has few industrial uses, or that it's high price makes it not cost effective, but this could potentially be a really important use for it.

https://www.rdmag.com/news/2017/12/using-gold-nanoparticles-destroy-viruses

I've read lots about silver nanoparticles being used in medicine, water purification etc, but this is the first I've seen for gold as medicine.

Next time I get a cold sore on the mouth I might kiss a half sovereign every few hours.
Terrific new medical treatments being researched using nanoparticles and immunotherapy.
This is where we in the UK need to invest and become world leaders and grow high tech industries.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Next time I get a cold sore on the mouth I might kiss a half sovereign every few hours.
Terrific new medical treatments being researched using nanoparticles and immunotherapy.
This is where we in the UK need to invest and become world leaders and grow high tech industries.

I'm with you on that one. Graphene was discovered by university of Manchester years ago but still hasn't made itself commercially useful

13 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

I'm with you on that one. Graphene was discovered by university of Manchester years ago but still hasn't made itself commercially useful

I knew scientists at the University of Cambridge and tech spin-offs who pioneered OLEDs before the big names overseas turned a few million $$ into billions.
Korean manufactured flatscreens rely on Western technology and many factories over there have few workers and don't need lights as the work is done by automation and robots. Begs the question why we cannot have such facilities in the UK. Ditto solar panels and iPhones.

In fairness, the Korean universities are no slouches when it comes to world-class research too.

The real jewel for OLEDs was LG aquiring Kodak's white-OLED IP years ago... Although that said the company still struggles to produce an OLED tv that's not eye-wateringly expensive... :lol:

Incidentally, have you encountered Oxford Photovoltaics? They're getting close to commercializing perovskite solar panels which could be a big deal.

I read a medical article a few years ago which stated that people who wear a gold wedding ring never developed arthritis on that finger, whereas the other fingers did become arthritic.    Interesting if true.

Archived