• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1 kilo in 1oz coins or a 1 kilo coin?

Mark10110

hi guys, im new to stacking kind of and I have 30 oz of silver and I am hoping to boost that stack dramatically this year.

In your experience whats the Pros and Cons of a 1 kilo bar compared to 1 kilo in 1oz coins? other than the obvious space management.

I asked this myself early on.

(Loads will have i suspect)

A few popular points-

Coins easier to sell - more people have an oz of money to spend than a kg.

Kg - heavy to post.

Coins - takes time and effort to sell a kg worth as singles.

If you need a few quid you can sell a few coins not a kg in 1 go.

So all in all its swings and roundabouts really :D. If you are stacking for weight with a long term goal then buy whats cheapest. 

You're 1st kilo bar you won't forget ! But neither will you the 1st full tube you buy.

Food for thought :lol:

I only started stacking to stop me spending on stupid stuff that I resent. I spent a year buying stuff like the Oculus Rift and fancy gadgets that I ended up resenting. I was told to put money in a bank that I can't touch for 10 years but I don't like the idea of someone holding my money hostage and I figure buying gold and silver is a wise way of spending without spending. I don't go for high premiums and i am hoping if I stack for a good few years I will see a price increase where I can just sell at spot or in parts to people online. I don't have a set path I am free falling but trying to somehow make it that I have a nice landing.

1 minute ago, Mark10110 said:

I don't have a set path I am free falling but trying to somehow make it that I have a nice landing.

A-men to that !

I think we all are, read alot and listen. Watch what sells and what creates a buzz.

(I have no idea myself really just winging it) :D

Just now, PansPurse said:

I'd recommend looking at @BackyardBullion's YouTube videos, he did a series of beginners guides that you may find helpful

I spend hours looking at youtube stackers in envy, shadow stacker, noobstackeruk, BYB and loads of others. I dont care much about what they say I just sit there and look at the coins in a trance. I was thinking of starting a channel for videos/unboxings just because I enjoy watching them. Does this make me weird? 

I value bulk / rounds / bullion silver by weight only - spot plus premium.
I fail to understand why a kilo brick ( per gram ) would cost more than say a beautiful crafted kilo coin in a capsule.
Some people will pay more for a boring poured bar than the equivalent weight in nice one ounce coins.
VAT on bars, even from the cheapest European sources is around the 20% mark whereas coins and coinbars are more likely around 5%.
Everyone to their own I guess.

10 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

I only started stacking to stop me spending on stupid stuff that I resent. I spent a year buying stuff like the Oculus Rift and fancy gadgets that I ended up resenting. I was told to put money in a bank that I can't touch for 10 years but I don't like the idea of someone holding my money hostage and I figure buying gold and silver is a wise way of spending without spending. I don't go for high premiums and i am hoping if I stack for a good few years I will see a price increase where I can just sell at spot or in parts to people online. I don't have a set path I am free falling but trying to somehow make it that I have a nice landing.

Always best to have a plan in some way. The biggest pitfall of any metal stacker is not having a plan. If you have an emergency and you have not planned and are forced to sell metals then you will probably lose a lot of money. 

Don't be distracted by the shiny objects! Enjoy them - but respect them because they can bite you in the ass!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I have made a few Videos with coins that I own and or wish to sell. I have tried to make my Videos tongue in cheek and not taking myself too seriously. The Graham Diamond Coin Show is on You Tube and the Silver Forum,  I Love Coins Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Mark10110 said:

In your experience whats the Pros and Cons of a 1 kilo bar compared to 1 kilo in 1oz coins? other than the obvious space management.

Wont be exactly indentical, but the space taken up is going to be roughly same volume. 

A kg in 1oz or 2oz. Every time. For the good reasons already given, chiefly the ease of selling smaller sizes privately, and if very occasionally a 1oz is reported as not received by your buyer it's not a total disaster. Plus the spread of variety you can have with those 32oz you're investing in, several issues/designs in qty of 5 or 6 that appeal to you. With one or two possibly going on to have higher premium in years ahead.

A kilo coin for me is a personal indulgence choice rather than investment, for that coin design that once in a very long while takes your breath away.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I fail to understand why a kilo brick ( per gram ) would cost more than say a beautiful crafted kilo coin in a capsule.
Some people will pay more for a boring poured bar than the equivalent weight in nice one ounce coins.
VAT on bars, even from the cheapest European sources is around the 20% mark whereas coins and coinbars are more likely around 5%.

the distance to that brick is as near as your heart beat and the sound resonance back from the surface of that metal, else the distance to the coin in capsule is as far as the moon you see

the comparison is between one bar and one coin, where you have too many coins, imagine trying to cut that bar into pieces without any Ag dust created... the sweat and dust to the face

this tax driven scenario, Never let the govt intervene in your love and proximity to your heart felt metal across your palm  

it is easier to let go the coins and hold on tightly to the bar, better grip baby fingers

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Spoken like a true 2011 stacker lol

Apart from my genuine numismatic buys, i'm now very much on the same page when it comes to silver.

48 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Seriously ? ?  Every time I look I see a new shiny thing that I absolutely NEED to buy.

In my head I have committed to every pretty shiny coin online. They just look so good. I love the Somalian Elephants more than anything. 

kooks are also great, and  pandas, The matt finish on the saltwater crocodile is really nice and that's before we even mention sovereigns.

Might be worth checking the dimensions before you buy a kilo bar, it's not a huge brick, it's just a little bigger than a bar of chocolate, if you want something that looks impressive you're going to need at least a 100oz or even a 5kg bar

Archived